Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Other Skills: Turbomachinery
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: Europe
Our Client, an Operator based in Aberdeenshire, is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer (Turbomachinery Specialist) on a contract basis. The successful candidate will be working within the Maintenance Team for 3 mature producing platforms (2 x topside jacket facilities and 1 x FPSO).
Troubleshooting and close performance monitoring of turbomachinery (gas turbines, gas compressors, high pressure centrifugal pumps such as WI).
Detailed preparation of overhauls of such equipment with no or minimum support from specialist vendors: defining detailed work instructions and method statement, parts required, checks required.
- Supporting sites by providing specialist technical/engineering advice and expertise in rotating machines, and turbo-machinery in particular, in a timely manner to queries and minimal disruption to operations :
- Monitor on a daily basis all main equipment, using all available data (RAID, PI, SYSTEM 1)
- Undertakes in-depth analyses/studies of problems, including root cause analysis approach when necessary; Investigates more complex problems by participating in multi-discipline teams/projects in conjunction with other operations personnel or Technology Department
- identifies and proposes effective short-term / longer-term solutions and/or options to site/offshore personnel on the operation and maintenance of plant/equipment, ensuring highest safety standards and taking into account operation and economic constraints
- Contributing to the optimization of maintenance, inspection and operation strategies of plant/equipment, to ensure that all plant and equipment meets verification and compliance requirements, for minimizing involved resources and associated costs. In particular :
- Identify efficiency of condition-based maintenance program and proposes / manages its implementation in replacement of systematic maintenance : vibration and process parameters monitoring, oil analysis, use of NDT technologies ...
- carries out routine gap analysis between current practices and their discipline approved codes of practice and standards and assess requirements for implementation within the company
- develop reliabilities studies for turbo-machinery and more generally rotating equipment, by identifying "bad actors", their failure modes, and all types of actions / modifications in operating them, or changing their design to better deal with process conditions
- Preparing or reviewing scopes of work and economic justification for modifications or main maintenance activities ensuring they are correctly engineered, documented and reported, in line with asset production, economical and scheduling constraints, and that all maintenance activities/modifications are implemented in accordance with statutory/Company standards and correctly closed-out
- Proposing and estimating specific budget lines, including benefits evaluation, manage approved budgets, monitoring costs and ensure that expenditures are within budget
- Act as Contract Representative on specific maintenance contracts (if any), or EOS representative when contracts are shared :
- Unplanned activities, monitoring and controlling manpower usage, vendor/contractor performance and expenditure. Participating, as appropriate, in vendor/contractor technical audits
- Taking a lead role in the involvement/co-ordination of, and interface between, onshore/site/offshore teams/contractors ensuring effective communication and understanding between appropriate parties
Safety - Integrity
- Ensure that maintenance activities related to rotating equipment are appropriately prioritised within operations maintenance plans
- When required, participate in/contribute to safety studies/HAZOPS, etc.
- Encourage the reporting of all incidents, ensure that incidents are investigated and action incident close-outs as appropriate
- Conduct ad-hoc technical surveys on site/offshore and at vendor/repair locations, providing detailed technical reports identifying problems and solutions and ensuring optimum performance from contractors
- Ensure all relevant operations and maintenance procedures and documentation are maintained in an accurate and current status and are available on request Human Resources - Relationship:
- Coaches and contributes to the development of young engineers (including Graduates) pertaining to their discipline.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with site personnel through effective communication and by making regular visits to offshore installations
- Develop positive and constructive relationships with contractors and suppliers. Identify opportunities to improve contractor/supplier performance, reduce costs and improve the quality of services/products supplied
- Technology Watch
- Keeps aware of the innovations and developments in their discipline and apply where necessary
- Participates in internal and external technical audits, takes part in incident investigations, pro-actively engages in survey, assessment or analysis of any technical situation in the field
- Represents Company on Industry Committees and specialist forums (including R&D JIPs, where relevant) especially when they involve other oil and gas operators and/or legislative authorities. Ensure that the local specifications are available as the Technical Reference. Ensures that the Technical Reference is either in agreement with Group specifications and rules or appropriate derogations are in place.
- Acts as main point of contact for group specialists (Technical "Metiers") for such subjects as terms of reference, technical feed-back (both ways), derogations, specific dossiers etc.
- Experienced Field Service Engineer from turbomachinery specialist company background.
- Strong technical experience in operating and commissioning turbomachinery packages (gas compressors, gas turbines or similar), for at least 10 years
- Good capability in investigating in detail, within an engineering team, using proven methodologies (RCA, RCM, FMECA..) when needed, technical issues, using all symptoms and information available : process trends, mechanical parameters such as vibrations and temperatures, age and design of the machines and components
- Good leadership, good ability to promote new ways of working and convince the team to implement, but also challenging technically and commercially vendors proposals
- Degree in Engineering/Technical Discipline.
- Chartered Engineer status or working towards chartered engineer status
- Suitable engineering qualification with appropriate strong experience in the oil and gas industry including offshore/site experience in rotating engineering, commissioning and maintenance. Solid experience in issue solving process is required. Theoretical detailed knowledge in Gas Turbine is required. Competencies in vibrations monitoring (theoretical and practical) and Root Cause Analysis are recommended
- Detailed knowledge of legislation/regulations relevant to discipline
- Good knowledge of offshore plant and equipment and maintenance systems
- Valid offshore and medical certification (including BOSIET, MIST & EBS)