Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Utilize structural engineering fundamentals to design integrated drilling systems and fit-for-purpose products to support drilling functions. This is an intermediate level position responsible for engineering practices to support the structural engineering department on both project and compliance related matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TIME ALLOCATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Primary job functions for this position may include the following items:
Learn and develop skills and knowledge through assigned tasks.
- Develop hands-on experience and field exposure.
- Develop discipline specific technical knowledge.
- Learn and utilize Parker Drilling's processes and procedures.
Create and review engineering and design documentation.
- Create discipline specific engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Review and comment on engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Support project controls related to engineering.
Secondary job functions for this position may include the following items:
Manage others to ensure successful delivery of scope related items.
- Manage internal engineers and support staff to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage external engineers and support staff including subcontractors and consultants to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage vendors and fabricators to ensure delivery of equipment, structures and/or rigs.
Communication is an essential component of the Structural Engineer III job function.
- Interface with other Parker Drilling business units.
- Interface with existing and new customers and vendors.
Position Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual should be proficient at the following general and technical skills:
- Strong PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite, analytical software (Mathcad, SAFI, SolidWorks Simulation), computer-aided design software (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Problem solving using systematic approach to define inputs, outputs, assumptions, issues, acceptance criteria, methodology, and conclusions.
- Must have good written and verbal technical communication skills including writing reports, emails, and presentations at various organizational levels (peers, internal clients, and external clients).
- Coordinates technical issues with other departments, including constructability requirements/considerations and reviews.
- Familiar with engineering deliverables such as datasheets, material specifications, material requisitions, scope of work, and data registers.
- Knowledge on technical decision making methodology, including evaluating alternative solutions is preferred.
The individual should have proficient structural engineering knowledge related to the following items:
- All relevant codes and standards including but not limited to AISC Steel Construction Manual, 9th Edition, ASCE 7-10 and API-4F.
- Analysis and design of steel structures and their components.
- Local and global modes of failure for structural members and systems
- Experience designing structural systems including decks, substructures, masts/derricks and/or equipment foundations based on AISC 9th Edition and the latest API specifications.
- Knowledge of the various structural material grades utilized in arctic and temperate climates is preferred.
- Experience in structural designs subjected to seismic loads, transport loads, vessel motion loads and/or other dynamic forces.
- Working knowledge of soil mechanics and their relation to bearing pressure.
- Experience evaluating field installations and providing modification guidance to improve functionality.
The individual should have proficient drilling knowledge related to the following items:
- Drilling equipment, structures, well control, and process/utility systems.
- Drilling operations and rig crew functions.
- Code requirements pertaining to the design, construction, safety, and operation of both land and offshore drilling rigs including but not limited to API, ASME, ASCE, AWS, etc€¦
Additionally, it is preferred if the individual displays knowledge on the following topics:
- Working knowledge of project management tools including cost estimates, contracts, and scheduling.
- Management and leadership concepts including leading people, driving results and building teams.
- Construction, fabrication and manufacturing concepts related to drilling rigs.
- Knowledge and experience with rig and equipment testing and commissioning including systems integrated testing (SIT) and integrated acceptance testing (IAT).
Engineers at this position should display and embody the following work values.
- Willingness to learn and passion for continued improvement through embracement of new assignments and challenges.
- Hands-on and field activities/exposure.
- Exposure to projects ranging in size from small to large.
- Organized and efficient execution of assigned deliverables through timely and correct decision making for self.
- Schedule familiarization relative to deadlines and associated impacts.
- Team coordination within the engineering group only.
- Interfacing with PKD Operations, Business Development, Supply Chain, etc.
- Introduction to design reviews.
- Encouragement of team members and engineering group with mentorship and guidance to individual performers.
- Ownership of high quality technical or professional work from self.
- Safety of individual actions and designs.
- Improvement through creativity, innovation, optimization, and efficiency.
- Accepting company's values with integrity, honesty, and ethics.
An individual must have the following qualifications to perform this job successfully.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited university is required.
- Being a licensed Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Should have at least 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Previous work experience with a drilling contractor or other related company with direct contact to the drilling industry is preferred (not required).
- The ability to read, write, and speak English is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sitting, standing, walking, lifting materials (maximum 50 pounds), carrying, pushing, pulling, and repetitive wrist and hand movements. Hearing, seeing (including depth perception and peripheral vision), ability of rapid mental coordination. Mentally alert for entire regular shift.
This position may work in various locations - both in the U.S. and internationally. Some locations may be subject to extreme temperatures, hostile environments, civil unrest, etc. Also, travel to and from work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil, working with ladder/scaffolds, working with hands in water, and working alone. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the functions of the job.
OFFICE AND SHOREBASED PERSONNEL
- Ensures that personal behaviours / work practices are in line with office safety standards.
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety of those in the vicinity, including any visitors.
- Pays close attention to housekeeping; double-checks and takes additional safety precautions to ensure no-one is put at risk by their work.
- Takes no short cuts.
- Reports all hazards and incidents in line with Company procedure.
- Ensures that personal behaviours/work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for personal safety and safety of those in the vicinity, including any visitors.
- Provides visible leadership engagement and pays close attention to housekeeping, double- checks and takes additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk by their own work and the work of others.
- Takes no short cuts and actively works with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Ensures all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure.
- Seeks advice from HSE representative on any necessary issues.
Parker Drilling is a global drilling company providing drilling services, project management and rental tools to the energy industry. Parker’s primary business segment is drilling services with 38 rigs in international locations and 19 rigs in the United States Gulf of Mexico.
The Company’s international rig fleet consists of barge rigs and related operations in the Caspian Sea, Nigeria and Mexico, as well as land rigs and related operations in a total of 15 countries. Parker’s U.S. rig fleet operates in the transition zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
Founded in 1934, the Company moved it headquarters to Houston, Texas from Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 2001. Customers include major, independent and national oil and gas companies. Quail Tools has four U.S. locations where it is a leading provider of specialized rental equipment for drilling and workover operations. Office and yard locations include New Iberia, Louisiana; Victoria and Odessa, Texas; and Evanston, Wyoming.