Skills: Energy / Commodity Trading, Financial Audit
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Where you fit in
You will be part of a the Shell Internal Audit (SIA) Organization which reports to RDS Supervisory Board's Audit Committee with organizational line to Chief Financial Officer. SIA audits cover nearly all business and functional activities around the globe. Auditors get the opportunity to see the full depth and breadth of Shell's activities and have exposure to staff at all levels in the group. Depending on the sensitivity and complexity of the audits carried out, different levels of experience and expertise are required for each audit. SIA employs approximately 180 professionals at various stages of their careers from different backgrounds and geographic regions, based in Shell's main hubs and service centre locations.
Why consider a job in Shell Internal Audit Trading Team?
- Shell Internal Audit is a great place to push your career to the next level
- Providing courageous, insightful, independent assurance to the RDS Board/Executive Committee across Shell.
- Exposure to senior management, up to EVP, that's hard to match.
- You will get challenges and development opportunities.
- A powerful network of talented professionals
- You will work with people from a range of disciplines, internal to SIA or as guest auditors, subject matter experts and stakeholders in the wider organization.
- World-class learning and professional development opportunities
- High Investment in learning & development.
- Structured Onboarding, e-courses, development audits and F2F training.
- A culture built on collaboration, continuous improvement and D&I
- Continuous Improvement is key.
- Leveraging D&I, compiling teams of diverse thinkers, different nationalities, genders, beliefs and from different geographical locations and Businesses/Functions.
- The best corporate audit and investigation function
- SIA is cost efficient and leverages cutting edge tools and technology such as data analytics and the soft controls model.
- SIA is built on a foundation of world-class people.
What's the role?
Your key accountabilities are to:
- Deliver substantial elements of the audit test programme as defined and agreed with the Lead Auditor and/or Audit Manager. Applying technical or functional experience and judgment.
- Execute quality interviews and data testing as audit team member.
- Assess results to provide assurance or identify issues and make recommendations.
- Deliver quality working documentation and the sections of a draft report in relation to the elements of the audit scope that have been placed under their responsibility.
- Provide expertise in the area of their own discipline to other audit team members.
- Lead audit teams on nomination by the audit manager (when enough audit experience has been acquired) and deliver the full audit programme by leading the team's activity following the objectives set by and under the supervision of the Audit Manager.
Contribute to effective execution of the audit mission:
- Manage a programme of interviews, testing and verifications in a very short period of time requiring thorough preparation and strong discipline in execution.
- Contribute to team dynamics and teamwork such that high performance is delivered.
- When leading audits, rapidly develop and maintain a team dynamic delivering a high performing and motivated team.
Engagement with auditees and senior management:
- Obtain necessary information in efficient and respectful ways.
- Listen carefully to understand the business and establish an effective relationship with the auditee community.
- Monitor potential hurdles in the execution of the audit programme.
- Express perspectives and audit conclusions in clear and succinct ways, with supporting evidence, to enable an effective dialogue with auditees and ultimately drive the most relevant actions when necessary.
Build and demonstrate judgement:
- Respond thoroughly to the individual objectives of the audit with clear evidence and conclusions.
- Gather relevant evidence to fully support audit conclusions reached.
- Form conclusions and test them internally with the audit team / wider audit organisation and the auditee.
- Be able to justify audit judgement to the Lead Auditor, Audit Manager and the auditee. Be prepared for challenges on the evidence and rationale.
Work Life Balance considerations;
- This position involves significant travel from your base location for periods of 2-4 weeks per audit (this could be up to 50-60% of your time). SIA is a global organisation so you may be required to travel to any of the locations in which Shell operates.
- As SIA operates on a fixed annual schedule (consisting of 9 audit blocks), travel periods are generally known in advance.
- Auditors are expected to participate in 8 audits per year. One block is designated for taking annual leave. There are other non-audit weeks set aside for training and shorter leaves
- Normal Shell/country arrangements for business travel apply.
- SIA considers work life balance as very important and for certain circumstances, arrangements can be made between the line manager and staff.
- In some instances, participation in meetings outside of typical 'business hours' will be required.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
What we need from you?
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's Degree with Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification required. MBA, MS and/or MA preferred.
- Minimum of eight (8) years auditing experience within a recognized Commodity trading organization required. Prior experience in a commercial role or a trader facing role such as Commercial Operations, Risk Control, Credit, Finance or Compliance preferred.
- Proven knowledge of one or more niche commodity markets (Crude, Refined Products, Gas, Power, LNG) required.
- Aside from knowledge of Trading and Supply, the personal qualities that are beneficial for this role are: curiosity, persistence, good judgment, and strong communication and people skills.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video