Skills: Chemical Engineering
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Saudi Arabia
Req Number: 18430BR
The incumbent brings an exceptional level of knowledge in the fundamentals of mass transfer and separation technologies, including absorbers, phase separators, extraction systems, filtration, centrifuge, crystallization, adsorption and membranes. He/she is considered Aramco's foremost expert on separation technologies and equipment. He/she is instrumental in the scale-up and deployment of separation solutions - from bench scale to industrial use. He/she anticipates future trends/developments in separation technologies and equipment, and stays abreast of new developments in his/her area of expertise. He/she enhances the technical reputation of Aramco in the domain of fundamentals of mass transfer and separations in industry and academic arenas.
Provides superior technical insight to the R&D program, guidance to the R&D project leaders and to the plant technologists in the area of mass transfer, separation technologies and related equipment performance. He/she is Aramco's ultimate technical authority on separation technologies and connects with/brings in the world's best separation expert when/as needed. The incumbent works alone and does not have formal line management responsibility. A significant portion of his/her time is devoted to the quality coaching and scientific guidance of R&D project leaders and senior technologists involved in separation/purification. As a member of Aramco's R&T Advisory Council, regularly reviews the technology needs from Aramco R&D, plants and business in terms of separation solutions, and shapes the most effective corresponding sourcing strategy and deployment.
Frequent independent contact with all levels of management in R&D, technology, manufacturing and business. Build networks of excellence with outside knowledge centers, institutes, research centers, innovation councils, private organizations, etc., and internal functions/business groups like (Business, P&CSD, FPD, HSEF, procurement, etc.) to create a portfolio of options in separation technologies. A member of editorial/consultative boards of leading organizations and journals related to separation technologies and equipment. May serve as an Aramco spokesman on technical matters related to his/her expertise in mass transfer and separation technologies.
1. Chemical engineering degree (M.S., Ph.D.).
2. Minimum of 20 years of experience in fundamental mass transfer and separation: has a high level quality track record of scaling up separation equipment, of designing/developing innovative separation technologies, of designing and inspecting separation equipment.
3. Undisputed scientific/technical authority within Aramco, and a broad technical credibility outside Aramco: is a member of editorial/consultative committees of leading journals/associations related to separation technologies and equipment.
4. Extensive track record initiating, guiding, conducting advanced technical projects and developments with an ability to connect technology, R&D and operational excellence.
5. Having the vision, the energy, and the entrepreneurship spirit to develop new technologies and products.
6. Having the ability to anticipate, appreciate, catalyze and make the most of changes and new developments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. The candidate provides superior technical insight/guidance to R&D program and plant operation (complex troubleshooting, critical project elements) as Aramco's ultimate technical authority in separations and connects with/brings in the world's best experts when/as needed.
2. The candidate drives new high quality science and technical developments in the domain of mass transfer and separations relevant for Aramco's R&D, technology and business needs: this includes:
• fundamentals of thermodynamics and mass transfers applied to (complex) separation (interfacial phenomena, emulsions, frothing, suspensions, colloidal physics, (electro)-coalescence), filtering, crystallization, adsorption, phase change, azeotropes, complex L/L extractions ...).
• towers internals, trays and packing - specific to the service considered and operating conditions, incl. direct contact quench sections, e.g., refinery main fractionators, steam crackers; incl. strippers (sour gas/ammonia, VOC etc.).
• 2-3 phase separators, including settlers and coalescers.
• filters, centrifuge, dehydration and crystallization.
• new separation technologies/equipment and applications, incl. membranes for liquid and gas separations, DWC, Superhidic (Toyo), etc.
3. The candidate is the "mass transfer/separation" thought leader and oversees/assists the quality of learning and development interventions imparted w.r.t to the discipline (both within as well as outside). Focus on building skills for the present as well as the future.
4. The candidate builds networks of excellence - extra mural partnerships with outside knowledge centers, institutes, research centers, innovation councils, private organizations, etc., and internal functions/business groups like (Business, R&D, P&CSD, FPD, HSEF, procurement, etc.) for creating a pool of ideas and initiatives in the separation technologies and equipment area.
5. The candidate is the torch bearer, a beacon of light, in the fundamental mass transfer area for attracting young talent, and oversees the development programs/initiatives to build their technical competencies/excellence.
6. The candidate builds and maintains relationships with major separation/purification knowledge providers for technical collaboration.
7. The candidate enhances the technical reputation of Aramco in major science/technical bodies, institutes, committees/boards and conferences.
8. The candidate, as a member of the Technology Advisory Council, participates to the development of Aramco R&D and technology strategy and regularly review the alignment of Aramco R&D and Technology agenda/priorities to fulfill Aramco technology needs, position and sourcing.