Job Description Purpose
As Regional Exploration Geoscientist you will be accountable for driving the Exploration content and quality of several defined projects/studies. Working as part of a team, your role may include regional studies/stratigraphic evaluation, play-based evaluation, seismic interpretation, opportunity evaluation, prospect maturation, risk and volumetric assessment, well delivery/operations and after-action review.Key Accountabilities
This position reports into the Regional Exploration Team, Oman. Key accountabilities include:
- Identify new exploration concepts and opportunities, grounded by appropriate analogues to develop a rich exploration funnel.
- Carry out regional or prospect-specific studies, incorporating play-based evaluation, well correlation and interpretation of 2D/3D seismic data to produce maps and maturation of opportunities/leads/prospects in line with the Shells maturation processes.
- Prepare auditable volumes and risking for identified leads and prospects.
- Ensure all work has the appropriate level of technical assurance.
- Participate/lead project framings and peer reviews and contribute to partner meetings and other related activities.
- Fully document all work products and manage data in conformance with Shell procedures.
- Proactively share knowledge, learnings and best practices with colleagues and the wider exploration community e.g. conferences,
- Maintain awareness of current technology developments (internal and external) and deploy fit-for-purpose modern technology (e.g. Sensors to Decisions), taking advantage of central support/expertise.
- Maintain and apply awareness of competitor activities (successes and failures) to the evolving understanding of petroleum systems.
- Support portfolio development and ranking based on commercial analysis with a clear link to value.
Shell in Oman has been a partner in the country's remarkable development and progress over the last several decades. In Shell, we have been providing pioneering technologies and expertise in the energy industry and creating value for the community that we have proudly been long part of.Requirements
- Advanced university degree in Geoscience (M.Sc. or PhD) and 7+ years' experience in Exploration Geosciences or related subsurface evaluation work.
- Fulfils or exceeds the requirements for an Exploration Geoscientist, with Skill in the core Exploration competences of Regional Evaluation, play based exploration analysis and workflows, Seismic Interpretation and Prospect Volume & Risking (plus Knowledge+ of the others).
- Geology strengths in one or all of play-based exploration, structural geology, carbonate and clastic sedimentology, lead and prospect generation and well maturation, planning
- Practical experience of the range of Exploration activities spanning frontier growth evaluation, stratigraphy and regional studies, prospect evaluation/maturation, well delivery/operations and After-Action Review.
- Strong technical/analytical skills and the ability to integrate complex datasets.
- Practical experience of the subsurface maturation process, together with a strong focus on HSSE.
- Adept with key Exploration software's
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and inclusive working relationships based on mutual respect, i.e. a good team player with well-developed interpersonal, who enjoys working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- The ability to clearly communicate geological issues to other team members and stakeholders as well as having well-developed presentation skills.
- Demonstration of drive, enthusiasm and can-do attitude, with an open mindset and a desire to develop skills as well as learning from successes and failures.
- Ability to accept personal responsibility, think independently and challenge dogmas coupled with the courage to say no, challenge or reject ideas that do not meet hard scrutiny and/or have no clear path to value
- Demonstrable ability in coaching and developing more junior members of the skill pool.
- Fluency in English.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.