Skills: Student / Recent Grad
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada
Shell Canada's Unconventionals business has position available for Power Engineering Technology students. These positions are based in Fort St. John, BC and is an paid position. Applicants must be mobile and willing to relocate between the months of May 2020 through August 2020. This position may qualify as time towards your Steam Ticket Certification.
- As a Student Operator, you will work closely with your shift supervisor and be responsible for the following:
- Monitoring & troubleshooting process operations, with a focus on safety, environment, and profitability
- Actively participate in accident/incident reporting
- Actively participate in Emergency Response Program
- Troubleshoot mechanical malfunctions and process disruptions
- Working with Maintenance and Contractors ensuring Safe Work Permits and equipment isolation(s) are conforming to Shell business processes
- Assist with minor maintenance on shift, if required
- Work at heights and in confined spaces
- Technical competence, understanding of process units and work processes in an operating environment
- Correct and/or report potential failures or equipment malfunctions
- Participate in job planning functions such as practice/procedure development or validation
- Safety focus (Safe Work Practices, Hazard Task Analysis) core safety skills training will be provided
- PLEASE NOTE: You MUST be currently enrolled in a Power Engineering program in Canada to be eligible for this opportunity. Relocation is not provided for this role.
In Canada, we do everything from exploring for oil and gas, to refining and manufacturing, to discovering new ways to reduce emissions, to delivering fuels to our customers from coast to coast.
We have many successful businesses and projects across Canada, including:
- a strong and rapidly growing Upstream business built around the Montney and the Duvernay shale plays, on a foundation of Foothills sour gas;
- a successful Downstream business anchored in our Sarnia refinery (Ontario) and our Scotford refinery and upgrader (Alberta) as well as our two world-class petrochemicals plants near Edmonton;
- a network of 1,300 retail sites across Canada - a vital point of connection for our customers to us - which makes us one of the pre-eminent fuel retailers in the country;
- strong Aviation, Sulphur and Lubricants businesses;
- an innovative Supply and Trading business;
- a prospective LNG export project in Kitimat, B.C.
Canada is especially well-suited to offer lower carbon energy solutions thanks to our highly experienced workforce, our abundance of natural resources and supportive government policies. In Canada, Shell is actively exploring opportunities to invest in new fuels for transport, renewable power and customer solutions enabled by digital technology to lead the global movement towards cleaner energy.
- Must be enrolled in a Power Engineering Technology program (finishing first year of program in April/May) or a 4th Class Certification course requiring steam hours to complete either your 4th or 3rd class certifications
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for anyone other than current employer
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Willing to work nights, weekends, holidays
- Willing to work a rotating shift schedule
- Able to climb ladders and stairs, work at heights and in confined spaces
- Must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must reside within the area or be willing to relocate at your own expense for the duration of your student term with us
- Using safe lifting techniques, able to lift and carry 20 kg from ground to waist level
- Ability to work safely wearing a respirator or Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Willing to comply with Shell's drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Willing to work in a diverse and team-oriented environment
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video