Skills: Chemist, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Our Global Wells Organization (GWO) Fluids Laboratory provides specialist technical services to support drilling and completion operations across the globe and works with the Technology team to evaluate new products/tools which can improve efficiency.
The Lab Technician works in the laboratory to support all BP Regions by performing lab tests, operating a wide range of high-pressure / high temperature equipment, rheometers and performs analytical testing. Lab Technician works with other specialists and team members from diverse backgrounds to understand project goals and design under the supervision of the Lab manager. The candidate has good technical and industry knowledge
Responsibilities of the role:
- Work in accordance with Our Code, BP values and the Global Wells Organisation (GWO) Guiding Principles of understanding risks.
- Supports the Laboratory's Safety and Chemical Hygiene Plan and participates in lab safety audits.
- Performs fluids and formation damage works with focus on providing technical support on fluids evaluations as needed to the various BP Regions.
- Observing lab testing processes, conducting research, and finding ways to increase efficiency and quality.
- Analyze test results and derive conclusions.
- Assisting with establishing budgets and timelines.
- Write technical reports summarizing the results and observations and present it to the regional partners.
- Complete COSHH of chemicals prior to using in the laboratory.
- Assure that job codes are in place for the work performed and time write accordingly to improve cost recovery opportunities.
- Maintain close contact with the Discipline Community of Practice.
- Maintain good inventory of consumables and equipment in the labs. Keep a good record of calibration, inspection and maintenance of equipment and parts to ensure minimal down-time including high standards of housekeeping.
- Work closely with other sub-disciplines -Fluids, Cementing, Technology and Completions - in terms of providing laboratory and technical support.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering /chemistry or similar.
- Strong oral & written communication skills with the ability to communicate with people in all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to build strong relationships with peers, co-workers, management, and customers through effective communication, integrity, trust and respect.