Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Rotational Salaried Employee
Location: Broussard, Louisiana, United States
Responsible for overseeing the Galley Hands who are assigned to living areas perform their jobs duties. To safely and efficiently prepare all the baked items as well as the midnight and breakfast meals. This includes ensuring the meals and snack items are safely and efficiently prepared in sufficient quantity and quality and in a timely manner to meet the needs of the personnel on the rig.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· Ensure that the Galley Hands sweep, mop, clean, dust, and otherwise straighten up the office, lounge, and other public areas of the rig including the stairwells inside the living quarters. The employee will also mop the floors and empty the trash in all bedrooms. (Not responsible for picking up occupants' personal clothes and other personal items). Walls in the bedrooms, offices, TV room, and other public areas, as well as the hallway and stairways are to be cleaned on a regular basis.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands clean and sanitize the showers, toilets, and laundry facilities throughout the rig.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands dust recreation room furniture, televisions, etc. as well as empty and clean all ashtrays, and trashcans in the living quarters.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands change linens and remake beds throughout the rig's living quarters.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands segregate, remove, and dispose of trash and garbage using the designated containers.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands collect and process (wash, dry, and fold) rig personnel's personal laundry as well as any other soiled laundry items used on the rig by personnel during their stay on the rig. Each item laundered must be returned/delivered to the correct room in a timely manner. Conserve water as possible.
· When time permits and when requested to do so by the Steward and/or Night Cook, the Galley Hand who is to the BR duties will also assist with the preparation, serving, or clean-up of the food and galley/mess hall area.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands assigned to the galley and kitchen area perform their job duties in a safe and efficient manner.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands wash dishes, glassware, utensils, pots, and pans used in the preparation, cooking, consumption, and serving of the food consumed on the drilling rig.
· Sweep, mop, scrub, clean, and disinfect the floors, walls, tables, air vents, walk in freezer, and refrigerators, ovens, stoves, hoods, fry kettles, slicing machine, ice cream equipment, etc. in the galley, mess hall, and storage areas.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands operate buffing equipment to wax and buff the floors throughout the living quarters.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands store food items (perishable, frozen, fresh produce, and dry or canned items), supplies and equipment as well as paper products used by the catering department.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands prepare salads (chop vegetables), clean food items, as well as assist with the peeling, chopping, and other labor duties involved in the preparation of the food.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands brew coffee and prepare various liquid drinks. Stock the coolers with beverages.
· Ensure that the Galley Hands wake up the rig crew at the appropriate time as scheduled or requested to do so.
· Supervise and check in weekly and bi-weekly shipments of supplies as necessary.
· Assist in the carrying and storing of supplies as necessary, possibly alone.
· Other duties as assigned
Minimum of 3 years in a similar role in a business of similar size and complexity
Education, Training, Licenses and/or Certifications
· Completion of secondary education or High School diploma required
Minimum Requirements for this position
· Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
· Effective team working skills.
· Physically capable of being transported to an offshore rig by boat or helicopter.
· Must be capable of working in a confined marine environment.
· Must have excellent conflict resolution skills and be able to diplomatically handle confrontation.
· Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
· Be able to maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in the employer's sole discretion.
· Be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
· Capable of carrying 100lbs several hundred feet, including up and down-stairs and possibly uneven ground.
· Physically capable of performing emergency procedures including evacuations, fire drills, and other emergencies.
Minimum Requirements for all Valaris positions
· Commitment to Valaris's high standard of safety and willing and able to comply with all safety laws, as well Valaris's safety policies standards and procedures
· Able to display commitment to Valaris's safety culture through personal behavior and willingness to influence others
· Must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
· Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
· Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
· Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
· Must have excellent team-working and organizational skills
· Work effectively alone or as part of a team on projects
· Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions
· Maintain flexible attitude and approach towards assignments and successfully operate under ambiguous guidelines.
· Able to maintain regular and acceptable attendance
· Available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as determined necessary to meet business needs
· PC proficiency required - competency with Microsoft Office Software suite version 2007 or greater
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Valaris is an equal opportunity employer in all aspects of employment to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any other non-job related factors.
Valaris was created by the combination of two leading offshore drillers with decades of experience and knowledge to create the most capable, effective and highest performing offshore drilling service company in the world. We provide drilling services across all water depths with unmatched scale, geographic presence and customer relationships.
Our diverse rig fleet of ultra-deepwater drillships, versatile semisubmersibles and modern shallow-water jackups is capable of meeting a wide spectrum of customers’ well program requirements. Our rig fleet is among the most technologically advanced in the industry and our well-trained crews perform at the highest levels in the most challenging offshore environments.
Our customers include many of the largest offshore exploration and production companies including major integrated energy companies, national oil companies and independent operators. With an unwavering focus on safety and dedicated offshore and onshore employees, we provide innovative solutions and aim to deliver excellence to customers in everything that we do.