Information Technology & Services (IT&S) is one of BP's largest functions - touching every part of BP's business providing world-class IT and telecommunication services and systems. Working with our partners in the segments and functions, our critical role is to develop, deliver and manage innovative, cost-effective solutions that help make BP more productive. IT&S is also responsible for IT infrastructure (including hardware, software and Service Desk support), and group-wide applications These services must also be delivered safely with the critical role of protecting BP information and systems securely against the growing risk of viruses and other security threats. Within IT&S, the Cloud Platform Engineering team is accountable for building and managing Cloud Platforms underpinning Applications including common technical administration and DBA layers. It also sets the key technical standards and procedures to be performed by suppliers and provides technical capability to support Projects and L3 support to Vendors.
Within Cloud Engineering Platforms, the SAP Technical Platform team is responsible for the design, implementation and operations of the technical platform for SAP. This includes but is not limited to the development of on-premise and cloud-based 'Standard Operating Environment' controls, everyday operations, and support for ongoing DevOps of the platform, including major project deliveries as necessary.
Within the SAP Technical Platform team, the SAP Platform Engineering Lead is responsible for:
- Assistance in delivery of SAP BASIS services, including assessment of technical demand received from specific programmes of work or Enterprise Operations, but with a primary strong focus on technical viability and best practice technical implementation of services, as well assisting to monitor and control services implemented.
- Supporting Technical Leads in planning and architecting SAP solutions for projects. This involves providing thought leadership on the best technical environment choices.
- Evaluating new SAP products from a SAP Technical Platform / Basis perspective. Creating new technical processes and procedures as needed.
- Advising on Basis technical implementation strategy and best practice, as well as contribution towards the SAP Standard Operating Environment (SOE) and development/ownership of the main SAP SOEs (AWS, HANA, ASE, SUSE and on-prem).
- Assisting in resource quality control for the SAP Technical Platform and BASIS teams, inclusive of ensuring resources are effectively trained, experienced and knowledgeable for deployment to Programmes of Work, Enterprise Operations, Strategy and Architecture (S&A), and Technology Planning.
- Providing senior Basis engineering support for urgent / difficult issues as required.
- Seeking and raising opportunities for continuous improvement within the Enterprise Cloud Platform Engineering service line.
- Ensuring Knowledge Asset management (KAM) for BASIS is in-line with Enterprise's overall KAM strategy, governance, lifecycle and policies.
- Assisting to define and assure overall Basis configuration and technical operational standards for BP's SAP production and project systems both on-premises and in the cloud (AWS).
- Assisting to define Basis technical implementation strategy and best practice, as well as contribution and development/ownership of Enterprise TE SOEs.
- Responsible for the research, development and review of standard technical procedures and processes for key SAP system activities (build, refresh, upgrade, DR, etc.)
- Assisting to ensure resource quality control for the BASIS team, inclusive of ensuring resources are effectively trained, experienced and knowledgeable for deployment to Programmes of Work, Enterprise Operations, Strategy and Architecture (S&A), and Technology Planning.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, technical assistance and support to offshore TE / SI Basis teams.
- Provide L3 Basis support for complex Production P1 issues if the offshore TE / SI Basis teams require assistance.
- Assist the Technical Leads in project planning, including providing expert guidance on system design and build options.
- Identifies changes needed to the environments and infrastructure for SAP applications (capacity, system parameters, system configuration).
- Involved in the following: technical site readiness support, stress/ performance testing support, infrastructure design and build coordination, system setup and configuration processes and support for SAP applications.
- Coordinates integration tests, system connections and system build dependencies as necessary
- Coordinates and participates in the operational acceptance testing for SAP applications
- Tests and supports disaster recovery and business continuity plans in adherence with BP policies and procedures.
- Assists in developing reports to communicate business continuity related information to internal and external regulatory and compliance entities.
- Influences and coordinates with other technical service lines and BP control authorities to ensure alignment between operating directives and Enterprise processes.
- Seeks out and identifies inefficiencies within Enterprise processes and procedures. Drives continuous improvement in the technical space.
- Act as trusted advisor to projects and to key stakeholders within Enterprise Operations and S&A, and help drive future direction of BP SAP infrastructure and solutions
- Responsible to participate in review of functional and technical designs delivered by BASIS services to ensure quality of these designs and adherence to standards
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- Ideally a Bachelor's (or higher) degree from a recognized institute of higher learning, ideally focused in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
- 10 years' experience in a relevant role or roles.
- Ability to own and to lead discrete technical pieces of work and sets of activities
- Possesses deep technical expertise and experience in BASIS and closely associated technologies, as well as broad knowledge of other SAP areas and SAP tightly integrated systems. Able to demonstrate circa 10 years experience specialising in this area.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Experience providing leadership / mentorship to offshore based teams
- Proven influencer with strong written and verbal communication skills
- SAP Technical certifications - e.g Basis/Netweaver/PI/ABAP/HANA etc.
- Expert SAP Basis knowledge across the suite of SAP applications, including deep DBA skills across major database technologies- ASE, Oracle and HANA specifically
- Ability to identify options to enhance application standard technical operations, and proven track record of executing such enhancements
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of, and define, best practices for systems setup, configuration and/or system administration and support
- Ability to create excellent working relationships within other teams and segments in BP.
- Strong multitasking skills and experience working in fast paced and dynamic environments.
- Ability to demonstrate where peers or leadership were influenced to achieve strategic goals.
- Ability to manage geographically dispersed teams.
- Demonstrates strong alignment with BP values and behaviours.
- Ability to work with AWS infrastructure specific cloud technologies
- Familiarity with and ability to work in DevOps based teams and with an awareness of Agile ways of working
- Expert skills in SUSE/Linux OS Support
- SAP ASE
- SAP HANA
- SAP Cloud Migrations to AWS
- AWS Technical certifications
- Strong general IT background (Desktop, OS, Hosting, etc.)
- Project Management experience.
- SDLC/SMART awareness
- ITIL3 awareness.