Skills: IT - Software Development
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our Client is looking for a Computer Scientist, on a contract basis, location in Aberdeen.
The Company needs a first-class Research function to ensure that it remains at the forefront of emerging technology, pursues opportunities on the basis of sound economic, technical and risk evaluations and is increasingly recognized as a 'Partner of Choice' by Governments, National Oil companies and other Operating Oil companies.
The Computer Scientist has an important role to play in this area in contributing to the effective performance of geoscience research within the Company.
- Lead role in development of new software projects and maintenance of existing ones. It involves implementing new ideas generated by GRC researchers, improving existing codes, performing bug fixing when required and coordination of coding activity in the team. It also includes integrating existing external and internal tools in order to fill gaps in our in-house technology. All above respecting state-of-the-art programming standards & procedures.
- In conjunction with GRC staff, define and delineate GRC programming and system requirements and design appropriate solutions so that software generated by the GRC satisfies end user requirements.
- Keep abreast of relevant developments in IT in order to advise GRC management and team colleagues regarding new technologies and their potential applications at the GRC.
- In coordination with GRC Team Leaders, contribute to ensure that developments meet set targets in time, quality and performance.
- Responsible for different GRC Data Management tasks: Sismage projects, students' directories, Linux environment and file system, software development environment, software license administration in close relation with company Information Services (IS) teams.
- Develop and maintain close contacts with company staff in IS, HQ and elsewhere, as necessary for the execution of different projects
- Ensure internal technology transfer through training and assistance to users, written reports or internal presentations.
- Mentor team colleagues/ interns/ VIEs in IT environment, software development and best practices.
- Participate in the exchange of ideas and knowledge within a multi-disciplinary geoscience research environment (geology, geophysics, reservoir engineering).
- Participate in the budget management and cost efficiency management for GRC IT needs.
- Plan and prioritize own workload to ensure that activities are carried out in a planned and effective manner.
- Outstanding skills and expertise in the field of scientific and numerical programming and visualization e.g. Fortran90, C/C++, Java, Matlab, and Python/Julia
- Demonstrated knowledge and proven skills in: advanced numerical methods and optimization, and parallel computing on internal HPC platform with Unix/Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of geoscience disciplines: geophysics, geology and reservoir engineering.
- Desirable: strong knowledge of methods and procedures related to company in-house systems and external (Gocad, Petrel) geoscience software.
- Presentation and report-writing skills.
- Familiar with the elements of a multi- disciplinary geoscience and technology team.