Skills: Electrical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our Client, one of the world's leading companies in the development, construction and operation of offshore drilling rigs and drill ships, is looking for an Electronics Superintendent to join their team on a permanent staff basis, located in Aberdeen.
- Ensure that the maintenance of electronic equipment, including control and instrumentation systems, on board the vessels is conducted in accordance with the policies of the company and in compliance with statutory and classification Society requirements. Systems may include Drilling Control, Dynamic Positioning, Integrated Automation, Fire & Gas Detection and Emergency Shutdown Systems.
- Responsible for the continuous development and monitoring of the Cybersecurity Management Strategy and Software Configuration Plan in relation to vessel-based control and automation systems in line with industry best practice and identify areas where improvements may be made.
- Assist with the continuous development and monitoring of maintenance strategies in line with electronic equipment, software and instrumentation systems best practice and identify areas where improvements may be made.
- Liaise with the Engineering and Subsea Managers, Engineering, Electrical and Subsea Superintendents and Rig Managers to assist with providing all departments with a cost effective operation-
- Assist with the production of written procedures and safety instructions regarding electronic equipment, software, instrumentation and control systems, also operation, maintenance and repair of the same.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets, costs for surveys, audits, modifications and projects.
- Ensure that electronic system, including control and instrumentation, failures are properly investigated, root causes identified and relevant follow up / remedial actions are taken.
- Liaise with the certifying authorities regarding equipment failures, repairs and renewals.
- Respond to all documentation, reports and other inward data regarding electronic equipment, including well control equipment.
- Ensure that office staff and personnel offshore are kept up to date on experience feedback and are aware of safety and technical issues through Fleet Engineering Bulletins and Product / Safety Bulletins.
- Ensure that the Software Configuration Management System is fully utilised allowing for software modifications to be tracked and viewed by appropriate stakeholders.
- Proactively ensure that electronic systems, including computers, software, networks and PLCs, are adequately protected according to industry recommendations and company requirements.
- Assist with the preparation of obsolescence strategies and related support for electronic systems, including software and hardware components, in accordance with industry best practise and company requirements.
- Investigate new and innovative technology to ensure company vessels continue "Best in Class" operability.
- Carry out fleet-wide risk assessment relating to electronic equipment, including software, control and instrumentation systems, and carry out audits on vessels and equipment suppliers as required by the company.
- Take ownership of project work relating to the upgrading/updating of control and instrumentation systems. Ensure that any such upgrades are carried out in accordance with the policies of the company and in compliance with statutory and classification society requirements.
- Assist in maintaining all unit's classification, statutory and shelf state certification in date.
- Assist the Marine department with the preparation of DP technical related documentation and company procedures.
- Direct offshore electrical and electronic staff to ensure that all equipment under their control is maintained and operated in a safe manner consistent with current legislation and company Code of Safe Working Practices.
- Co-ordinate and execute vessel equipment upgrade projects.
- Any other duties as required by Electrical Superintendent.
- BEng or BSc in Electronic and/or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Member of a Professional Institute and working towards Incorporated/Chartered status
- Relevant post graduate work experience with control and automation systems.
- Experience with Subsea BOP equipment, MUX Systems, Drilling Control Systems, Dynamic Positioning Systems or Integrated Automation Systems.