Skills: Budget / Cost Control, Project Controls
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Alberta, Canada
Our client, a large oil and gas company, is currently seeking a Project Controls Specialist for 1 year contract in Edmonton, AB.
The Project Controls Coordinator works independently to monitor, control and report on the cost-related aspects of projects managed by the assigned project management teams. This includes ensuring that costs for assigned projects are identified, accounted for and reported in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with the company's established business practices and procedures
Provides cost control support to assigned project management teams by:
- Collecting information for project cost estimates, establishing control budgets, on-going monitoring and control of incurred project costs, cost forecasting, cost variance analysis and cost reporting to various stakeholders
- Provide capital cost control, variance analysis and reporting requirements for multiple complex and multi-disciplined major projects.
- Ensure that the cost control processes are applied in the execution of their project activities.
- Interpret project-specific business requirements and ensure alignment with project lifecycle gating control processes.
- Assign priorities to complex, multiple, competing projects by effectively prioritizing work activities. Establish and adjust priorities based on the department's objectives and the company's strategic plan.
- Work closely with the PMO and the Financial Services department and liaise with other project stakeholders for project related responsibilities.
- Widen and apply expertise by broadening alliances and working relationships with a broad cross-section of stakeholders, both within and beyond the Major Projects business unit. Communicate and work effectively with a varying set of these stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Prepare reports and presentations for and provide support to project management team members and stakeholders regarding the cost status of their respective project budgets.
- Review policies and procedures and recommend improved processes for project cost management.
- Impacts can extend to the multiple work units as well as to internal stakeholders (e.g., support departments) and external stakeholders (e.g., vendors and customers)
- Decision making is guided by standardized practices, existing processes and professional judgement
- Assignments are often self-identified and are completed independently
- Recommendations are reviewed for soundness of judgement, but usually accepted as technically accurate
- May provide guidance to junior employees
- Verbal and written communication typically consists of the collection and relay of complex technical facts and analysis of business implications
- Required to communicate technical issues to technical and non-technical staff
- Office environment
- Overnight business or construction field trips may be required
- Expectation to produce required reports and cost data in a timely manner
- Occasional travel to field worksite locations. May require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- University degree or equivalent in a related field
- A minimum of five years of directly related experience
- Ability to comfortably work with Microsoft Office software, company financial systems, enterprise structure and standard operating procedures, etc.
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize workload and resolve issues in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written form. This includes the ability to effectively interact with peers, internal and external stakeholders. Strong written communications abilities, including good spelling and grammar are essential for this position.
- Possess an aptitude for successfully building relationships with employees, internal stakeholders, vendors and service providers.
Established in 1978, NES Global Talent provides a complete range of contract and permanent talent solutions to the Oil and Gas, Power, Construction and Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Manufacturing and IT sectors worldwide. With more than 40 offices in 28 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. Offering far more than a traditional recruitment service, we fully support our contractors while they are on assignment with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.