Skills: Civil Engineering, Geologist, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
The Lead Field Geotechnical Engineer would be to manage a group of engineers and or Data Scientists and provide engineering/geo-science advice in multiple specialized technical disciplines and develop solutions with the team by putting acquired Geo-data into context. This role will consist of working in both in offshore and onshore, collecting and interpreting data using cutting-edge tools to sample and characterize soil conditions and develop geotechnical engineering design parameters.
- Work offshore (approximately 40%) on geotechnical and geophysical vessels for periods from 2 to 6 weeks, on regional and international projects.
- Work within a team environment collecting geotechnical data, seabed soil and rock samples and performing in situ testing using standard and novel marine coring and penetration tools.
- Perform offshore core logging to classify seabed soil and rock samples, and perform basic index and strength testing on collected samples.
- Package and store offshore samples for transport to onshore laboratory testing facility.
- Guide and oversee more junior shift engineers and field technicians in performance of seabed sampling and in situ and field laboratory testing, and identify training needs.
- Adhere to Fugro and client-required HSSE protocol at all times.
- Perform quality assurance checks on all offshore geotechnical testing and data processing, interpretation and reporting.
- Assist Site Manager in planning, coordinating, and managing field data acquisition activities.
- Produce daily field reports and communicate progress to onboard client representative and/or onshore client.
- Produce field reports using Quality Management Systems reporting protocol and procedures, comprising of offshore operations, sampling, in situ testing, and index testing procedures and results.
- While onshore (office-based), support proposal preparation, data interpretation and review, and engineering reporting, assist in planning and mobilizing marine geotechnical investigation projects, support geotechnical field data acquisition activities, including quality assurance checks on all offshore geotechnical testing, and maintain client contact.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States, without restrictions.
- Acceptable driving record and possession of a valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 3 months.
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, Geology, Ocean Engineering, or related field.
- Master degree in Geotechnical Engineering a plus.
- At least 3 years of geotechnical marine investigation experience performing and leading marine activities.
- Familiarity with geotechnical laboratory testing in an offshore data collection environment.
- Basic understanding of soil mechanics as related to soil and rock classification and standard engineering properties.
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office software and ability to quickly learn job-specific software applications.
- Proficient writing, speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Writing and speaking Spanish a plus.
- Flexible, innovative and open to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work long hours (12 hour shifts) in the field, sometimes under pressure, and always within deadlines.
- Ability to work offshore and travel internationally, without any travel restrictions.
Our Contribution to You (Growth Opportunity)
At Fugro, we focus on helping our employees at every level of their career identify and use their strengths to contribute their best every day. From entry-level team members to senior leaders, we believe there is always room to grow knowledge and experiences. We support our employees by offering opportunities to sharpen their skills through on the job learning experiences to formal internal and external development programs.
At Fugro, we value people and offer a broad range of benefits which include, but are not limited to:
- A choice of Medical, Dental and Vision Plans.
- Basic Group Life and AD&D Insurance.
- Short-term and Long-term Disability.
- A broad range of voluntary benefits.
- An employer matched, 100% vested 401(k) Plan.
As the world’s largest integrator of geotechnical, survey, subsea and geosciences services, we offer talented individuals almost unlimited growth potential.
As a Fugro employee, you will get to work with talented people on a global scale who contribute as a team to our corporate strategy. Additionally, you will have access to ongoing training and development which will sharpen your skills and broaden your knowledge and abilities.
This combination of experience, ongoing training and development, and working with great people will allow you to grow your career and explore new opportunities with Fugro around the globe.
How to apply?
If you are interested in this role we look forward to discussing this opportunity with you. Please click on our ‘apply’ button and upload your resume and cover letter.
Disclaimer for recruitment agencies:
Fugro does not accept any unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies. Acquisition to Fugro Recruitment or any Fugro employee is not appreciated.
Fugro USA posting Disclaimer
Fugro is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the recruitment process are encouraged to contact Human Resources directly at 713-369-5600, option 5 or email@example.com.
We are the world’s leading, independent provider of geo-intelligence and asset integrity solutions for large constructions, infrastructure and natural resources. We provide the technical data and information required to design, construct and maintain your structures and infrastructure in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
Are you new to the workforce and just starting your career? Are you looking for new challenges in your field of expertise? Have you learned and acquired skills which translate easily into our global workforce? Fugro has opportunities for individuals at all career levels and experience. Explore the possibilities to Join Team Fugro!
10 Reasons To Join Fugro
Many of us have asked ourselves what are the compelling reasons that we love our jobs and what keeps us committed to this company. We want to share those reasons with you so that you know why we are so engaged and motivated by working for Fugro.
1 - We have been rewarded for our good work.
Fugro delegates responsibility to the lowest level possible meaning that there are outstanding opportunities to grow your career.
2 - We love being part of a great team.
Fugro’s team driven work environments allow us to succeed in and celebrate our work as part of a team.
3 - We work with the best and brightest.
Fugro is led by industry leading individuals who share their knowledge as mentors to others.
4 - We get to work with individuals from all over the globe.
Fugro’s diverse culture and global footprint means that we get exposed to people and cultures from all over the world.
5 - We have learned more working at Fugro than any other time in our career.
Fugro is committed to providing ongoing training and development to the staff.
6 - We chart our own course.
Fugro’s global presence means that there are virtually unlimited opportunities to grow and work internationally.
7 - We want to come home at night and we care about the communities in which we work.
Fugro has a strong commitment to health, safety and the environment.
8 - We get to work with some awesome tools.
Fugro has a passion to employ technology and innovation in the workplace.
9 - We sleep well at night knowing Fugro is a strong and stable company.
Fugro has been in existence for more than 50 years and during that time has continued to grow and prosper.
10 - We get to be part of something greater than just a Company.
Fugro is committed to corporate social responsibility and this is expressed through charitable support and volunteerism in the communities in which we live and work.