Skills: Floorhand / Roughneck
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Midland, Texas, United States
Offshore Drilling Group
Transocean is focused on being the employer of choice for the drilling industry.
We are challenging ourselves every day to push the performance of the company through technological advances and passion for our work.
Reports to the Toolpusher
PR E REQUISITES / QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diplo m a or equivalent. Work exp e rience and de m onstrated command of oral and written co mm unication m a y be substitut e d in lieu of for m al education.
- Knowledge of all technical calculations required for the safe operation of the drilling equipment
- Valid medical and vaccination certificate for area of operation
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate tongs, wrenches and other equipment required for making up or breaking down tubulars; perform other tasks necessary for drilling operations
- Use manual and automated means to move, position, lift, pull, push, remove, and install tubular equipment and other materials as needed
- Manually set and remove slips from the rotary bore and around tubulars
- Ensure correct body positioning and safe lifting procedures are utilized in manual handling operations
- Actively participate in pre-tour meeting with the drilling crew for all non-routine drilling operations and safety matters
- Keep hand tools in good condition and properly maintained. Ensure proper storage or hand tools and other materials. Keep lines, hoses, and slings properly coiled
- Wash down rig floor areas, decks, bulkheads and structures using high-pressure water, air, solvents, and cleaning chemicals as required and/or prior to application of primer/paint
- Clean up spills. Remove accumulated waste, debris, trash from decks, stairs, compartments and other areas of the rig, dispose of properly. Take necessary actions to prevent slip and trip hazards
- Ensure that all loads are properly slung with tag lines attached. Check loads for clearance, balance and proper attachment
- As a Banksman, give or relay hand signals and/or radio signals to crane operator to control lifts and movements of load
- Grease, lubricate, and perform minor repairs to rig floor equipment and inspect machinery that is directly related to the drilling operation
- Change tong and slip dies using hand tools and proper personal protective equipment
- Clean and service drilling subs and equipment before removing from rig floor
- Assist in maintaining the shale shakers in optimum operating condition and perform any required maintenance or repairs
- Perform daily inspection and preventive maintenance on derrick structure while using safe operating procedures and proper personal protective equipment
- Assist the Derrickhand in mud mixing operations, checking the properties of drilling fluid, pit/tank cleaning and pump room maintenance
- Assist in nippling up or down the Blow Out Preventer (BOP) stack, running and retrieving risers, BOP and auxiliary equipment
- Carry out regular painting to maintain rig floor equipment; prepare metal surface for paint using scrapers, portable air operated tools, wire brushes, etc.
- Assist in carrying out Preventive Maintenance on cranes and associated wireline
- Perform helideck duties as directed by the Helicopter Landing Officer
- Assist in the care, maintenance and protection of the rig's machinery, equipment, drill pipe, marine riser joints, and other tubulars using proper tools.
- Assist in slipping and cutting of wire lines, inspection and maintenance of wires, slings, and other lifting equipment
- Assist in erecting scaffolding and staging as required
- Report any incidents, hazards or abnormal situations to supervisors
- Activel y participate in safety m eetings, participate in FOCUS Improvement Process , and all other processes in the Safety Management System
- Carry out assigned duties in a safe manner according to Company policies and procedures
- Incorporate the Task Planning and Risk Assessment process into all tasks, whether working alone or as part of a team
- Participate in the START process
- Ensure that DROPS inspections are conducted as per the rig's DROPS inspection program
- Call a Time Out for Safety (TOFS) whenever an unplanned hazard or a change in the expected results is observed
- Participate in emergency drills and respond to emergency situations as per designation on station bill
- Maintain a safe area for task assigned. Inspect tools or safety equipment prior to use and properly stow when task is complete to avoid safety hazards
- Meet the training requirements according to the applicable training matrix
- Participate in the performance appraisal process
If you want to push yourself to great achievement, let Transocean develop your career.
No matter where in the world Transocean people are working, we are all pioneers at heart. We don’t shrink from challenges. They inspire us. Which is why we’ve been a company of firsts since our inception. Although we come from different countries, cultures and backgrounds, we’re united by our shared pursuit of excellence. We value the different perspectives represented throughout our organization, recognizing that our people are our most valuable asset.
In today’s competitive environment, when Transocean has asked our employees to embrace a performance culture that requires us to constantly seek improvement no matter how productive we are, our team has risen to the occasion. And in fact, they are changing the way we operate. If you are motivated by a work environment that consistently challenges you, one where you can have an impact that is felt on every rig and on the bottom lines of both Transocean and our customers, we encourage you to browse our available positions below and at www.deepwater.com/our-people
Transocean has received reports of unauthorized individuals falsely advertising or promising job opportunities and supporting their claims with forged documents. These individuals ask for money to cover processing fees, visas, work permits, etc. Transocean's hiring process does not include unsolicited offers of employment or require payment. We will only contact you if you have applied for employment through our website at: www.deepwater.com, or had contact with one of our local recruiting or field offices. We also have received reports of unauthorized solicitations of business or vendor quotes, which may request pricing and other commercial details. Please do not respond to any requests unless you can verify the origin of the request. Transocean communicates with its vendors using a vendor portal or direct communication with a designated Transocean representative known by vendors. Transocean will never ask you to send banking information by email. If you suspect fraud, we would encourage you to report such activity to your local police authorities.