Skills: Research & Development, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Richmond, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Research & Development Laboratory Technician located in Richmond , California through January 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
This position focuses on supporting experimental research and development work in the area of residuum hydroprocessing, working under the guidance and supervision of research engineers. Day to day activities require strong mechanical skills to support mechanically de-assembling, cleaning, reloading, re-assembling, and inspecting Research Unit scale reactors and bench-scale testing of reactor components. Strong laboratory skills and experience are also required to safely handle oil, chemical and catalyst samples and perform various laboratory activities involving oil, chemical and catalyst samples, including analytical testing, blending, mixing, filtration, and submission of samples for various analytical tests.
The position is dynamic and requires a mix of laboratory skills depending on the project business need. Candidate must maintain a high degree of independence and responsibility, reliability and accountability in planning and reporting laboratory results, troubleshooting equipment, and complying with documentation and quality control requirements.
Candidate must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with senior chemists/engineers in the team and colleagues across various departments to maximize productivity by applying special skills and experience routinely and by drawing on knowledge and skills of other experienced personnel.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Working efficiently in performing various laboratory activities, including executing various mechanical tasks involving laboratory equipment, including reactor de-assembling, inspection, cleaning and re-assembling. Manual dexterity and mechanical know-how required to perform these tasks safely and reliably. Using of lifting chain device or hoist required to safely install reactors to stand or grid. Conducting pressure test to verify tightness of reactors.
- Working carefully in charging and discharging catalysts from Research Unit reactors.
- Working safely in handling oil, chemical and catalyst samples and performing various laboratory activities involving oil, chemical and catalyst samples, including analytical testing, blending, mixing, filtration, solution preparation, and submission of samples for various analytical tests after generating analytical tags.
- Calibrating reactor temperature with RTD probe during Research Unit testing.
- Able to wear respirator for chemical/catalyst handling.
- Using a mix of laboratory skills depending on the project business need.
- Maintain a high degree of independence, responsibility, reliability, and accountability in planning and reporting
- laboratory results.
- Communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to develop new skills and experience and draw on knowledge and skills of other research engineers/chemists.
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent, Bachelor's Degree in STEM preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of hands-on mechanical work requiring manual dexterity.
- Demonstrated track record in executing delicate laboratory work and generating data while maintaining accuracy and repeatability standards.
- Demonstrated experience safely handling oil, chemicals and/or catalyst samples and proficiency using basic analytical instruments and laboratory techniques.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills, including communicating effectively with research engineers/chemists and lab support personnel.
- Demonstrated experience working in a safety sensitive laboratory environment and complying with safety-related guidelines.
- Demonstrated track record of high performance and multi-tasking behaviors.
- Proven experience working within a team environment and drawing on knowledge and skills of other researchengineers/chemists.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Demonstrated proficiency using basic computer technology and software (Microsoft office suite, data spreadsheets, ...) and the ability to generate analytical tags.
- Demonstrated Chevron Way behaviors and Operational Excellence.
- Demonstrated mechanical skills and troubleshooting proficiency (such as reactor assembly/disassembly, reactor loading/unloading, etc.), and experience and proficiency in working in a safety-sensitive laboratory environment and handling chemicals, oil and catalyst samples.
- Bachelor 's Degree in STEM.
Relocationwill notbe considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignmentswill notbe considered.
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.