Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, Safety Officer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: El Segundo, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the Field Safety and Industrial Hygiene Specialist position through January 23, 2020 at 11: 59a.m. (Pacific Standard Time)
The successful candidate will serve as a primary El Segundo Refinery Health & Safety subject matter expert for multiple operating and/or maintenance areas with hundreds of personnel. The plants are complex (involving various equipment such as furnaces, columns, vessels, and tanks) and handle several hazardous materials (flammables, toxic gases and vapors, etc.) operating 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a health and safety subject matter expert providing services in a range of areas such as safe work practices, industrial hygiene sampling or survey work and program management, community response sampling, field auditing, radiation monitoring, developing job safety analyses, incident investigation, developing and implementing HES training to meet identified needs.
- Provide day-to-day consultation to field workforce on general safety and health issues. Identification of chemical exposure hazards as well as the application of field-based hazard communications programs and technical aspects (e.g., toxicology) and application of exposure limits; expertise in H2S, benzene and other aromatics, petroleum products, streams and other hydrocarbons, mercury, welding fumes, lead, asbestos/man-made mineral fibers.
- Responsible for the health & safety reviews of management of change and pre-job start-up safety reviews, as well as review of changes in the field for industrial ergonomic (Safety-in-Design) issues, conducting job field walks and working with engineers and plant operators and mechanics.
- Preparing and reviewing Operational Excellence verifications and assignments to ensure assigned health & safety compliance programs are up to date, fit-for-purpose, assigned to the right persons, and effective in meeting compliance with health & safety regulations and internal policies.
- Manage assigned refinery health and safety policies and instructions.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned such as participation in behavioral safety observations, human performance learning teams, assistance in general surveys, responding to third party auditors or internal legal counsel, agency interface during inspections, occasional travel and rotating 24-hr on call coverage.
- Adherence to field safety policies and procedures, and compliance tasks.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, science, or health science-related discipline
- 3 - 5 years of relevant experience in industrial hygiene
- Master's degree in health sciences
- Health and Safety related board certification (CSP, CIH or equivalent)
- Certified Radiation Safety Officer
- Experience in Oil and Gas and/or in a Manufacturing environment
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.