Responsible for supporting product development through conducting laboratory-based work, which may include blend studies, sample administration and submission for testing, ensuring the quality, standard and timeliness of the work carried out meets agreed expectations.
ATD is part of the Global Petrochemicals Technology entity in the Hull research centre, providing the research capability and expertise to both improve existing technologies and develop new Chemical Process options for the Acetyls business, with projects ranging from laboratory scale operations through to operating fully recycling Demonstration plants.
The primary focus of this Research Technician role will be within the day technology team, executing experimental programs on laboratory scale units and equipment to achieve the highest standards of HSSE, efficiency and data quality. The post holder will be expected to deliver operational insights into experimental programs and engineering modifications, take ownership of units and laboratory workspaces, and drive the planning and delivery of plant turnarounds and maintenance activities in their work areas.BP is seeking to recruit a Research Technician to join an established team working in the Acetyls Technology Development team (ATD) at Hull. BP Hull site is the European manufacturing facility for the Acetyls Business Unit and a key part of the Petrochemicals Strategic Performance unit in the Downstream segment. The Acetyls BU is one of the world's leading manufacturers of acetic acid and its derivatives, with a history of owning and deploying in-house, market leading technology developed principally through a significant research, technology and licensing centre at Hull.
The role will involve close and continuous interaction across the ATD team and its partners, including chemists, engineers, operations and craft / maintenance colleagues. The successful candidate should be comfortable engaging across these cross functional teams, being able to support and influence key work streams, working up data in consultation with chemists and reporting in written format, and outlining interpretations and recommendations at team technical forums. Full, specialist training on relevant unit operation will be given. Key accountabilities
- Lead the safe operation of Laboratory units and associated equipment to agreed work programs, providing operations inputs into planning and troubleshooting activities. Ensure the highest standards of HSSE are maintained in unit operations and in laboratory areas, including compliance with local practices and procedures around risk assessment, COSHH, and standard operations.
- Coordinate the delivery of experimental plans, acting as the SPA for managing and reporting to the technology team
- Lead the delivery of all aspects of Control of Work for laboratory units utilising the Operations Manager and shift team for consultation and cover as appropriate
- Provide operational support and input into the design and execution of engineering modifications for operational units
- Be the principal operating procedures author for laboratory units and ancillary equipment.
- Keep appropriate records to support write up and learnings from experimental programs, including log entries and communications around plant status and forward plan
- SPA for TAR planning and execution
Essential criteria & qualifications
- A good level of formal qualifications (A level/GCSE/NVQ or equivalent) in relevant technical subjects and a good aptitude for IT systems are necessary.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Experience of operating laboratory units is essential.
- Strong track record of successfully following complex procedures or working instructions, ideally having gained experience of working in a hazardous environment where safe working procedures were of paramount importance.
- Have strong communication skills and be a logical thinker, comfortable with independent decision making and being able to articulate issues and observations to a support team for resolution
- Be able to manage the delivery of competing priorities and operational complexity
- Experience of coordinating the delivery of experimental programs on once through units / pilot plants, and demonstrated commitment to knowledge capture
- Proven ability to influence key stake holders including chemists and engineering discipline specialists.
- Strong scientific acumen
- Control of Work Permit Signatory, experience of HITRA / task risk assessment, Management of change operations signatory
- Practical experience in the use of Distributed Control and IT systems
- Familiarity with on-line analytical techniques (e.g. GC, NIR)
- Experience of updating and amending operating instructions
- Fork lift truck experience
- If future business needs emerge, the flexibility if requested to work shifts and support demonstration plant operations