Baker Hughes is looking for an experienced Metallurgical Engineer for its Completions and Well Interventions division. The candidate will provide sustaining support to our Engineering, Quality, Operations and Supply Chain organizations as well as support to the R&D and New Product Development groups at the Center for Technology Innovation in Houston, TXEssential Responsibilities:
- Utilizes metallurgical engineering and material science skills to complete assignments involving complex projects and/or multiple projects.
- Direct sustaining support to all major internal groups (i.e. Engineering, Research, New Product Development, Manufacturing, Operations, Quality, Strategic Sourcing, Supply Chain).
- Provides Metallurgical and Welding training to internal groups, as needed.
- Direct customer contact through design/specification reviews, third party inspections or failure analysis.
- Evaluates metallurgical performance of equipment used in prototype testing or field service and issues recommendations for improvement.
- Produce thorough Metallurgical Failure Analysis reports including recommendations for corrective actions.
- Provide material recommendations for research and new product development projects.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in supplier audits involving metallic materials, coatings or heat treatments.
- Operates with considerable latitude in making autonomous decisions.
- Develops and maintains internal specifications for metallic raw materials, heat treatment, surface treatments and welding to assure compliance with applicable industry standards and best practices.
- Coaches less experienced Metallurgical engineers.
- Handles special projects, as assigned.
- Training opportunities exist for various engineering subjects, product training, management, and other applicable topics. Some infrequent domestic and international travel may be required to conferences, suppliers, field offices, and manufacturing locations.
- BS Degree in Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or equivalent with 6+ years of experience or Master's Degree in Engineering with 4+ years of experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Advanced analytical skills. Ability to solve problems independently and efficiently.
- Experience within the field of downhole Metallurgy and Corrosion.
- Proven experience with the wide range of alloys used in downhole Metallurgy.
- The preferred candidate will have experience with welding and the development and qualification of welding procedures according to ASME Sec. IX.
- Dominion of the common standards used in downhole completions: NACE MR0175, API 5CT, 5CRA, 6ACRA and ASTM standards.
- Knowledge of corrosion testing of downhole metallurgies (pitting, crevice, SSRT, 4PBT, DCB, HE)
- Working knowledge of the Metallurgy lab and equipment: optical metallography, photography, fractography, SEM, EDS, Failure analysis, heat treatments, mechanical testing, coating qualifications.
- Candidate shall be self-motivated and possess advanced project management skills.
- Must be able to interact efficiently with a broad range of individuals of different cultures, personalities and technical proficiency levels. Candidate must be emotionally intelligent.
- Proven ability to lead a complex, multicultural group.