Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
Recruitment Fraud Alert
Recruitment fraud is a sophisticated fraud involving job opportunities through communications such as unsolicited emails, online recruitment services such as LinkedIn, bogus websites, and text messages claiming to be from Parker Drilling. The aim of the fraud is to obtain personal information or money. Recent incidents have occurred involving both individuals and organizations falsely claiming to recruit on behalf of Parker Drilling. These emails and offer letters often appear legitimate and may include job description, salary, and benefit details. Prospective candidates may be instructed by fraudsters to pay them fees for immigration and visa application/processing services. We recommend that you do not respond to unsolicited offers of employment.
This position is responsible for welding / brazing material for various metals in accordance with defined specifications and drawings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Brazes cutters on downhole drill bits, and brazes crushed carbide filler to drill bits and mills.
- Welds high-strength downhole tools
- Performs welding and fabrication, assists shop mechanic when needed, and performs general workshop maintenance.
- Miscellaneous job duties determined by the workshop manager.
- Keeps count of full and empty oxygen tanks, acetylene, welding leads.
POSITION SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- Should have at least 5 year welding experience
- Must possess the training and experience required of a Welder to perform the functions of the job as shown above.
- Must have excellent oral and written English communication skills, including the ability to recognize hazards, alarms and warnings and convey these to the proper personnel; and prepare daily reports.
- Must possess basic math skills.
- Must be able to assist with handling shipping documents and taking stock counts.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, regulations and company's safety policies.
- Must be focused on keeping workspace clean and tidy, including sweeping and daily hose rollbacks.
- Must possess good reasoning ability.
- Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others.
- Training and experience in the use of overhead trolley cranes is a benefit.
- Must possess the necessary certificates, licenses, and registrations to safely perform the functions of a Welder.
- Must be able to pass welding tests in accordance with weld procedure specifications. Tests may be conducted at a third-party facility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sitting, standing, walking, lifting materials (maximum 100 pounds), carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing stairs, climbing using legs and arms, balancing, stooping, kneeling, repeated bends, crawling, reaching high and low, and repetitive twisting or pressure, involving wrist and hands. Hearing, seeing (including depth perception and peripheral vision), ability of rapid mental coordination simultaneously. Must be able to tolerate continuous vibrations and elevated noise levels as well as tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including, but not limited to, a hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness in outdoor temperature & humidity conditions. Mentally alert for entire regular shift.
- Must be able to work in a drug-free workplace -- not be under the influence of mind-altering prescription or non-prescription drugs, including alcohol and other drugs of abuse.
- Brazing requires extended work periods around open flame. This requires wearing special PPE, which Parker Drilling will provide.
- Normally, personnel work 7:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, but these hours and days may be expanded, depending on the orders that have to be delivered.
This position will typically work in a climate controlled building in the 2M-Tek Lafayette business unit of Parker Drilling with some exposure to the shop. However, this position may require travel overseas. Some locations may be subject to extreme temperatures, hostile environments, civil unrest, etc. Also, travel to and from work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil, working with ladder/scaffolds, working with hands in water, and working alone. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the functions of the job.
- Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure.
- Authorized to utilize Stop Work Authority
- As needed, seek advice from QHSE representative
Parker Drilling is a global drilling company providing drilling services, project management and rental tools to the energy industry. Parker’s primary business segment is drilling services with 38 rigs in international locations and 19 rigs in the United States Gulf of Mexico.
The Company’s international rig fleet consists of barge rigs and related operations in the Caspian Sea, Nigeria and Mexico, as well as land rigs and related operations in a total of 15 countries. Parker’s U.S. rig fleet operates in the transition zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
Founded in 1934, the Company moved it headquarters to Houston, Texas from Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 2001. Customers include major, independent and national oil and gas companies. Quail Tools has four U.S. locations where it is a leading provider of specialized rental equipment for drilling and workover operations. Office and yard locations include New Iberia, Louisiana; Victoria and Odessa, Texas; and Evanston, Wyoming.