The BH, Drilling and Completion Fluids (DCF) Technology group is seeking a Research and Development Manager to join our multidisciplinary team of scientists responsible for development and deployment of advanced chemical products and engineering solutions for oil and gas drilling industry. The Research and Development Manager for Drilling and Completion Fluids in Houston, TX will be responsible for leading a team of R&D scientists and managing multiple R&D projects that require high level strategic thinking as well as projects that are critical to delivering short term results. This position requires engagement across the organization particularly with cross-functional teams - including Product Line Management, Operations, Supply Chain, Quality, HSE, Marketing and Finance - as well as cross product line teams. Essential Responsibilities:
- Manages a given scope of work and the direction, control and utilization of direct team.
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and activities to be carried out by the team.
- Participates in the analysis and research and development efforts focused in the area of Drilling and Completion Fluids and supports FES and Digital related developments.
- Writes and assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposals.
- Oversees the execution of projects.
- Ultimately responsible for meeting objectives within the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Plans and conducts research, develops and executes phases of larger projects or a total project of moderate complexity.
- Participates in vendor and customer interface.
- Plans, conducts and supervises assignments.
- Reviews progress and evaluates results.
- Works closely with sales and operations to help support customer's needs.
- Works with some latitude in making autonomous decisions.
- May be responsible for a single product line or process.
- Handles special projects, as assigned.
- Participates actively in internal and external industry forums.
- Participates in HSE and Quality related activities.
- Master Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or engineering related disciplines
- 10+ years Oilfield experience with 5+ years in project management within Research and Development setting
- 3+ years in managerial/people leadership position
- 2+ years of drilling and completions fluids experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of systems applications
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Good leadership/management skills
- Must be safety focused with all technical and operational responsibilities.
- PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering is preferred
- 5+ year of experience in drilling and completion fluids
- Operation experience with drilling fluids and/or completion fluids applications in a field/rig setting
- Familiarity with Baker Hughes Drilling and Completion Fluids products and services
- Occasional business travel required.
Baker Hughes is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.