Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Engineering & Technical Svcs Group
Transocean is focused on being the employer of choice for the drilling industry.
We are challenging ourselves every day to push the performance of the company through technological advances and passion for our work.
Responsible for facilitating electrical power systems design with OEM and interfaces in alignment with Company requirements and in conjunction with rig systems.
- Support and assist rig electrical teams and Technical Field support team during troubleshooting to prevent and/or minimize down-time
- Run power system analisys (e.g. Short-Circuit, Power Dynamic stability, protective devices selectivity, harmonics, arc-flash studies). Review and comment, and assist in troubleshooting as required, on existing and proposed new 11kV power plant control design.
- Review and comment, and assist in troubleshooting as required, on Energy Storage systems (e.g. Ultra capacitors and battery systems, industrial UPSs) designs.
- Review and comment, and assist in troubleshooting as required, on VFD, dynamic braking systems designs and DC bus voltage regulation - requires knowledge of VFD programming.
- Travels internationally to OEM facilities to provide technical input to the equipment/system design and to witness FATs.
- Travels to shipyards and offshore vessels to lead or participate in commissioning and customer acceptance testing.
- Liaise with Classification Societies (ABS & DNV) and provide technical expertise to ensure class requirements as well as local regulators' requirements are met.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering required or Masters of Science or PhD in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Candidates should have at least 5 years of experience in commissioning, troubleshooting, programming and servicing 1kVDC Variable Frequency Drives systems (Siemens and ABB preferred).
- Graduate degrees (i.e. Masters of Science or PhD) in Electrical Engineering will be considered in lieu of required experience.
- Must have experience with DC bus voltage regulations systems to handle power regenerations from VFD driven motors.
- Must have field experience in setting up, programming, troubleshooting and testing of PLCs ( Siemens Step 7 experience a plus).
- Must have field experience in programming 690VAC and 11kVAC relays (Siemens, ABB, GE 489 preferred).
- Must have experience with running power systems studies, such as: Short Circuit Analysis, Protection and Coordination (selectivity) studies, Power systems dynamic stability study, Arc-flash study, Power systems harmonics analysis.
- Must be capable and available to travel worldwide to offshore drilling vessels as required.
- Must be available for assisting troubleshooting efforts after normal working hours.
- Experience with 1kV DC battery systems installation, troubleshooting and testing is desired.
- Experience with large UPS systems, installation, troubleshooting and testing is desired.
- Experience with diesel driven AC power generators is desired (installation, load sharing tuning and protection systems).
- Experience working on offshore drilling vessels is desired.
If you want to push yourself to great achievement, let Transocean develop your career.
No matter where in the world Transocean people are working, we are all pioneers at heart. We don’t shrink from challenges. They inspire us. Which is why we’ve been a company of firsts since our inception. Although we come from different countries, cultures and backgrounds, we’re united by our shared pursuit of excellence. We value the different perspectives represented throughout our organization, recognizing that our people are our most valuable asset.
In today’s competitive environment, when Transocean has asked our employees to embrace a performance culture that requires us to constantly seek improvement no matter how productive we are, our team has risen to the occasion. And in fact, they are changing the way we operate. If you are motivated by a work environment that consistently challenges you, one where you can have an impact that is felt on every rig and on the bottom lines of both Transocean and our customers, we encourage you to browse our available positions below and at www.deepwater.com/our-people
Transocean has received reports of unauthorized individuals falsely advertising or promising job opportunities and supporting their claims with forged documents. These individuals ask for money to cover processing fees, visas, work permits, etc. Transocean's hiring process does not include unsolicited offers of employment or require payment. We will only contact you if you have applied for employment through our website at: www.deepwater.com, or had contact with one of our local recruiting or field offices. We also have received reports of unauthorized solicitations of business or vendor quotes, which may request pricing and other commercial details. Please do not respond to any requests unless you can verify the origin of the request. Transocean communicates with its vendors using a vendor portal or direct communication with a designated Transocean representative known by vendors. Transocean will never ask you to send banking information by email. If you suspect fraud, we would encourage you to report such activity to your local police authorities.