Job Description What's the role?
The Downstream Soil and Groundwater Focused Delivery Group is a team of world-class soil and groundwater experts providing innovative, sustainable, value driven soil and groundwater risk management solutions for Downstream Classes of Business. The Soil and Groundwater (SGW) Senior Program Manager delivers risk management solutions, collaborates with the business to develop Advocacy strategies, manages contaminated land projects as well as due diligence requirements, manages contractor performance in areas of project delivery and HSSE, assesses required SGW competencies and supports knowledge transfer both internally and to our contractor community. Holds responsibility for meeting planned budget despite a challenging and dynamic growth environment. Forecasts budgets for annual spent purposes, for Shell China Limited (SCL) and the Wholly Owned Foreign Entities (WOFE). Creates environmental liability forecasts/ provisions (i.e. lifecycle cost to closure) for all projects within his/her WOFE portfolio. The role in China, must manage a diverse set of stakeholders with strong relationship management and prioritization skills to support a combination of the SCL, WOFE portfolios and Non- Operated Venture (NOV) JVs with diverse views and needs for delivery. Key Accountabilities of this role:
- Contractor performance and HSSE Management.
- Drive Goal Zero performance culture.
- At environmental consultant companies, and their subcontractors, whilst also contributing to front line worker safety in all areas of the businesses we support.
- Establish project strategies, approve the deliverables, oversee the consultants and monitor costs, and delivery against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Key Actions (KAs).
- Ensure compliance with the SGW financial approvals procedures.
- Internal and external stakeholder management.
- Build, nurture and actively manage critical relationships with internal business stakeholders as a TRUSTED ADVISOR. The stakeholder matrix is comprised of a diverse set of stakeholders at various levels in the business that requires the Senior PM to flex communication styles to meet the needs at each level. Stakeholders include internally in SCL (Vice President VP, Network Delivery Managers NDMs, General Managers GMs), WOFE (GMs), and JVs, and for other SCL Downstream Class of Businesses (COBs) within his/her portfolio. Commercial acumen is a key skill to develop deep understanding of SCL WOFE COB business drivers to deliver fit-for-purpose risk management strategies, whilst supporting the JVs business drivers to manage and minimizes current and future liabilities.
- Risk Management Solutions.
- Identify and drive adoption of best practices and continuous improvement for managing SGW risk across his/her area of responsibility.
- Oversee and ensure proper implementation of the technical assurance process with Project & Technology (P&T) SGW Technical Assurance.
- Ensure that Shell environmental standards are met on all SCL WOFE projects.
- Ensure that Shell environmental standards or its equivalent are met on all JVs projects.
- Support and delivery of strategies, standards, and tools that guide business in understanding and managing risk.
- Due Diligence.
- Key role in delivery of a significant growth agenda:
- Sites requiring Due Diligence anticipated in the WOFEs. WOFE sites are in all stages of a lifecycle of an asset.
- Sites expected in the JVs in that requires:
- Accelerated pace of growth requires a Senior PM to deliver site assessments concluded every year in the WOFE despite tight resources in the market where delivery of the assessment with a short turn around is critical to delivery of the deal
- Expecting to manage up to 10 other COBs (e.g. Trading & Supply (T&S), Lubricant Supply Chain (LSC), Bitumen (Specialties), Petrochemicals, etc.) investment projects lifecycles of an asset.
- Risk Based Site Asset Management
- Identify and deliver risk-based management strategies for reducing soil and groundwater liability specific to the portfolio with a Continuous Improvement mindset and an eye for the big picture
- Contaminated Land.
- Ensure SCL WOFE Strategic Environmental Team (SET) sites are identified and appropriately managed and resourced when required.
- Advocacy strategies
- Project level & Programmatic level.
- Given the current development stage of policy and regulation in China, the Senior PM must develop and manage direct relationships with Chinese regulators at National and Provincial level, as well as other external stakeholders to deliver cost effective risk management strategies and appropriately manage environment and reputation risks. The pace of regulatory development is accelerating, and the Senior PM must ensure that the business holds the leading edge with regard to minimizing business impact in both the near and long term.
- These advocacy strategies must consider elements of the broader SCL, WOFE and JVs remit.
- Competency assessment, Assurance and Knowledge transfer.
- Internal - Shell and WOFE.
- Support Markets by educating relevant staff on the Shell Open University curriculum requirements to ensure they have the appropriate competence for the job they hold.
- Understand the SGW elements containing in COB tools such as the Retail Network Development Compass.
- External - JV market.
- Develop and implement a strategy that enables Retail China NOVs to effectively manage Soil & Groundwater (SGW) risks in conjunction with the Royal Dutch Shell Joint Venture Governance Standards.
Shell's story in China dates back more than 100 years. At Shell China we will make sure that your ideas will travel. All of Shell's core businesses are now represented in China. We need world-class candidates to continue our drive to innovate and answer the world's energy needs in socially and environmentally responsible ways.Requirements What we need from you
- Demonstrates HSSE leadership and commitment.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in environmental management, remediation, project management, risk and liability.
- Science Degree, preferably in earth sciences / environmental engineering discipline Technical / Engineering.
- Ability to lead, influence, persuade and deliver in a manner suitable to various stakeholder groups.
- Negotiation and stakeholder (internal and external) engagement skills.
- Analysis and decision-making skills.
- Team player with interpersonal and relationship management skills which are aligned with Shell values of dignity and respect and clearly demonstrate the leadership attributes.
- Strong fluency in both spoken and written English, with excellent mastery in Putonghua (known as Mandarin outside of China) both spoken and written.
- A broad understanding of the China business drivers of the different SCL WOFE, JVs, and Downstream CoBs.
- Proven success in delivering and managing change.
- Candidates with CI accreditation(s) are seen as a plus.
- Applications from staff requiring flexible working hours and/or days are welcomed.
- Travel is expected to be within China (all provinces where WOFE and JVs have presences) and limited outside of China.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.