Job Description What's the role?
This position is accountable for leading the development and directing the implementation of a soil and groundwater regulatory advocacy and stakeholder management strategy for the Downstream business in the Middle East and Asia (MEA). The advocacy team being a global team by nature, involvement in other region and especially in Europe could be required during the assignment.The aim is to win acceptance of the sustainable risk-based approach to the management of potentially contaminated land and groundwater, and to manage reputation risk associated with the soil and groundwater condition and issues for countries in the Downstream business in MEA.
Key accountabilities of this role:
- Identify, maintain and continually refine the inventory of key regulatory (or other external) decision makers for the region and each priority country, and manage internal accountabilities and ownership for those relationships.
- Coordinate and direct efforts to influence appropriate regulatory bodies to ensure new legislation and guidance are risk-based, sustainable, and based on sound science, both bringing in respected technical experts and being able to represent Shell in non-technical fora him or herself. Direct involvement in engagements in China Provinces where we operate.
- Maintain overview of regulatory developments in region to stay ahead of (and influence) any changes that could have a material impact on soil and groundwater management activities.
- Maintain the overview of key soil and groundwater issues, business priorities and projects, develop and direct an advocacy strategy necessary to gain wider acceptable of sustainable risk-based solutions on Downstream assets.
- Work to give Shell a consistent policy position towards regulators and external stakeholders.
- Ensure continual refinement of program to obtain maximum value. Develop metrics to measure progress and success. Define and identify the resources needed to deliver implementation plans.
- Leverage consultants to ensure alignment with our strategy and objectives. Support the development of an advocacy culture within our consultant and actively involve them as an additional resource for the delivery of advocacy activities.
Shell's story in China dates back more than 100 years. At Shell China we will make sure that your ideas will travel. All of Shell's core businesses are now represented in China. We need world-class candidates to continue our drive to innovate and answer the world's energy needs in socially and environmentally responsible ways.Requirements What we need from you
- Minimum 5 Years of Experience
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Mandarin
- Policy & Advocacy, ER, GR background and/or Engineering /Science/ Technical degree, preferably in environmental management.
- Knowledge of SGW risk management, preferably with track record of successful risk-based solutions delivery with regulators and third parties.
- Knowledge of country and regional regulatory and legislative processes and key players (China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand)
- Knowledge of global industry groups and organizations relevant for SGW activities (ITRC, NICOLE, CL:aire)
- Ability to introduce risk-based SGW management strategies into emerging regulatory environments.
- Ability to quickly build relationships, credibility, and trust with external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to influence and persuade in a manner suitable for various stakeholder groups.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Ability to execute with ambiguous and competing information.
- Ability to act with courage with internal and external groups to achieve team and role goals.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, within a global virtual team.
- Ability to work both independently, as well as in cross-functional and cross organizational teams.
- Ability to deliver results through others.
- Evidence of behaviors supporting Shell's leadership attributes and Business principles (E&C in particular).
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.