The Director of Application Hosting - Data Center Operations is responsible for leading the Baker Hughes data center ecosystem across company owned on premise data centers, co-location facilities and 3rd party managed service provider environments. It is crucial that the candidate has prior experience in creating application-hosting roadmaps by collaborating and building relationships with application stakeholders to determine the correct hosting platform.
The successful candidate will have prior experience developing cost models - including TCO (total cost of ownership), ROI (return on investment), payback, etc. - for IaaS (Infrastructure-As-A-Service), PaaS (Platform-As-A-Service), self-managed, and co-location facilities.
This position requires a comprehensive understanding of business critical, highly confidential, and non-business critical application classification and management. Another requirement for this leader is to have previously experience in working closely with peers who manage the roadmaps and oversee the storage, DR (disaster recovery) and virtual/physical server areas.
Must have expertise in leading previous data center consolidation efforts and will work closely with the Baker Hughes Full Stream Cloud team to drive applications to AWS, Azure and other cloud service providers to reduce the physical data center footprint.
The selected candidate will partner with the all areas of the Digital Technology organization and work closely with international Baker Hughes product companies around the world to ensure Baker Hughes' data center strategy meets the needs of business application stakeholders and considers the geographic spread of our end users. Essential Responsibilities:
In the role of Director of Application Hosting - Data Center Operations, you will:
- Be the "go-to" resource for all types of data center and cloud-based solutions, best-practice technologies and standards
- Develop, implement and maintain the Baker Hughes data center strategy to ensure the global footprint aligns with and enables our business hosting landscape
- Recommend and advise executive decision makers on data center strategy and forward path
- Proven experience in leading the preparation and presentation of this data to senior leadership and application stakeholders is a must
- Develop total cost of ownership model across all data center types and environments
- Manage and maintain on premise, co-location and managed service data center locations and relationships
- Negotiate costs that are in alignment with the Baker Hughes data center strategic direction
- Hold multiple service providers accountable to contractual obligations automate processes and overall selection of hosting strategy across global data center footprint
- Partner with the Baker Hughes Cyber Security Risk and Compliance organization to ensure data centers meet all requirements
- Work closely with enterprise architecture teams to address infrastructure configurations and end to end network requirements
- Partner with Vendor Management organization to negotiate multi-million-dollar contracts including defined SLA's (Service Level Agreements), pricing tiers, transitional mode of operations and maintenance management that align with the Baker Hughes strategy
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 8 years of experience with data center operations management and working with global data center providers
- Ability to produce data center architectures and roadmaps
- International experience of working with resources in diverse countries with a variety of in-country application and data requirements.
- Understanding and of data center best practices
- Knowledge of upcoming technology shifts and their impacts on enterprise data centers (Ex: containers, serverless compute, converged infra, machine learning, cloud storage, etc.)
- Experience with security and compliance requirements of overseeing enterprise data centers
- Ability to lead a team to support various external data center relationships and tasks required for management of on prem locations
- Aptitude, experience and/or passion for the creation and execution of an enterprise grade data center team & environment
- Ability to set targets, execute a plan, and deliver results
- Ability to plan and provide structure and organization in a fast paced, changing environment
- Effectively manages risk and uncertainty for self and team
- Strong business analysis and problem-solving skills
- Ability to decompose problems and make decisions when requirements are not 100% defined
- Evaluates products & processes to assure compliance
- Measures the impact of trends (cyclical or a shift) and modifies plans accordingly
- Ability to interact at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience leading and influencing across a complex, global matrix organization
- Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
- Uses critical thinking skills and disciplined approaches to help leaders and leadership teams resolve issues and define solutions
- Produces an environment that empowers teams and allows for autonomous execution
- Commitment, perseverance and passion
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more