An opportunity for an Expert Team Leader, Head of Analytical to join the team in Pangbourne.
Operate the Pangbourne Analytical labs to highest appropriate industry standards in support of Fuels and Lubes programmes through the provision of standard and proprietary tests as well as highly skilled forensic capability.
Additionally, the purpose of this role is to improve the efficiency of Formulated Products Technology (FPT) by modernizing our analytical systems and processes through developing and implementing integrated, automated & scalable and configurable hardware and work processes.
To lead a team of Team leaders, Analytical Technologists and Analysts responsible for testing and analysis of formulated products and the materials they contact. Build analytical capability (people and equipment) globally to align with the future technology strategies for Fuels and Lubes.Key Accountabilities
Essential Skills & Experience
- Provide thought leadership and execution to modernize our analytical facility and improve our ways of working to improve the efficiency and delivery of core analytical testing and investigative analysis work.
- Rigorously manages and lead the Analytical Section, 24 Specialists and Analysts and Team leaders in a variety of analytical techniques promoting shared responsibility and teamwork, performance management and accountability. This requires an understanding of a wide range of analytical techniques and their relevance to lubricants.
- Prioritise work across the whole customer-base, taking into account both business and strategic importance. This requires a strong current awareness of all the customer businesses. At the same time, manage the logistics of supply and demand of resource against work, in a system where the demand is dynamic and the resource is limited
- Turn customer requests into practical solutions, which requires wide-ranging experience of products, end-user applications and analysis techniques. Advise on most appropriate ways to address requests in order to generate the best outcomes.
- Seek and utilise best practice from other BP and external labororatories to improve performance within Pangbourne Analytical and share globally to the benefit of FPT/BP.
- Develop and implement strategies for effective workload management, continuous improvement projects, customer communication and engagement to improve operational efficiency. Move to a partnership relationship with customers through active engagement.
- Set and control the Analytical budget, both revenue and capex. Monitor revenue spending and forecast deviations from plan. Recommend and justify capital expenditure
- Monitor the section's performance against very challenging KPIs, ensuring that targets are achieved
- Act as SPA for all Analytical labs in Pangbourne, ensuring that all users are aware of current issues and up coming risks in those areas. Aim for continuous improvement in Turn-Around, Safety, Communication and Quality - especially in labs shared outside Analytical.
- Manage and develop the department's LIMS information management system and its links with customers
- Maintain show-case facilities of analytical laboratory capability in support of influencing and building partnerships with key external customers/OEMs Promote the section's capabilities and depth of technology to OEMs and customers, both during technical tours, and at their worksites.
- Degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Engineering or related technical discipline. Advanced degree level scientist (MSc, PhD) with extensive experience in a combination of automotive lubricant, fuels, additive supplier and/or Automotive/OEM industry with significant experience in technical roles desirable.
- Proven ability to drive change and continuous improvements in mindset, operations and infrastructure.
- Broad experience of lubricant development, automotive engineering development and/or product research and technology. A technical understanding of the key lubes specification tests and standards.
- Demonstrate a collaborative approach to working
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Team leader experience
- Broad knowledge of BP's lubricant products, their composition, manufacture and application. Good understanding of the interfaces and drivers within the business, in particular between sales, marketing, supply chain and the product development and research teams within GLT.