The Principal Engineer - Fitness for Service (FFS) is accountable for providing technical leadership, and engineering expertise in order to deliver technical support to BP Refineries and other downstream businesses. This is a key role to ensure the effectiveness of static equipment integrity programs for BP's global refining sites. The successful candidate will have had substantial experience in the refining industry particularly in the area of engineering, inspection and failure analysis.
The successful candidate will provide fitness for service, life assessment, rerating and design calculations for pressure vessels, piping, heater tubes and storage tanks. The Fitness for Service engineer will provide engineering service to capital projects and to operating facilities. The Fitness for Service engineer will work with engineering specialists in other disciplines to help sites assess damage and degradation to equipment using analytical techniques such as those covered by API 579-1/ ASME FFS-1. The fitness for service engineer will both perform and review design and rerating calculations done by others.
This role reports to an Engineering Discipline Leader and is a key contributor to the success of the refining system, Fuels North America, and the Downstream segment. The job location is either at one of the downstream manufacturing sites or the RTE offices located in Naperville, IL or Sunbury, UK. A minimum two-year commitment is required.Key accountabilities:
- Responsible for the direct plant support of all refining sites including:
- Work under the tutelage of a Piping and Pressure Vessel Advisor recognized in industry as an expert on fitness for service and stress analysis.
- Learn to employ software tools such as finite element analysis (using ANSYS), VCESage, and Omega Life to perform fitness for service investigations.
- Often be expected to work under tight time constraints to support urgent site requests and site turnarounds.
- Occasionally travel on short notice to provide on-site service for problem solving and root cause analysis.
- Work with teams of specialists such as NDE engineers and metallurgists to solve problems.
- Provide design reviews and analysis for capital projects.
- Assist sites and contractors with the design of field and local post weld heat treatments.
- Perform other engineering analyses, often strongly analytical in nature.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or a Technical discipline.
Desirable criteria and qualifications:
- 10 years' plant experience in refinery, chemical or similar industry.
- Static Equipment design, fabrication or inspection knowledge.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be influential; e.g. capable of communicating in clear compelling fashion that promotes understanding and action.
- Works in a strategic manner to develop relationships with key stakeholders.
- An MS or PhD in mechanical engineering or related field is preferred.
- Strong technical leader with a demonstrated track record of working across organizational boundaries.
- Provide technical advice to senior leaders to enhance business performance.
- Active in industry forums (API, ASME, etc.)
- Professional Engineer, Chartered Engineer status