BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Petrochemicals SPU consists of the Aromatics and Acetyls Business Units which have manufacturing assets worldwide, and
technology centres located in Naperville in the U.S. and Hull in the U.K. There are over 3000 people working for Aromatics and Acetyls in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
The Aromatics and Acetyls businesses produce 3 key products. Acetic acid, Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and Paraxylene (PX). The businesses have a track record of consistent growth, particularly in Asia. The business success is based on best in class proprietary technology and market leadership in its key product areas. In all three product areas the business continues to look for growth opportunities and licensing options.
In addition to technology leadership the business intent is to maintain best in class manufacturing performance in its entire assets worldwide. In order to be increasingly cost effective and competitive in a global market, production equipment and systems reliability are critical for improving financial performance.
The Process Engineer will provide process design support to business development and petrochemicals (PTA and Acetyls) licensing globally during license proposal development and Appraise/Select stage of major capital projects in support of the SPU's Petrochemicals growth agenda. This role will focus primarily on our PTA technology PTA licensing business.Key accountabilities:
- Develop and maintain Heat and Material Balances using ASPEN and other simulation packages and PFDs for the latest generation PTA technology primarily
- Demonstrated familiarity with process design parameters for critical equipment; heat exchangers, distillation towers, pumps/compressors
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of both Acetyls and PTA Technology Design Packages (TDP), with a primary focus on PTA Technology.
- Ability to engage and develop Process Design skills, process engineering and technical support to continuously improve the technologies support the Acetyls BU growth agenda;
- Provide ongoing support to BP project teams during Define and Execute stage of projects and to licensees during FEED and Detailed Engineering Design
- Support the commissioning, start-up, and performance test activities at licensed plants as required.
- Awareness of BP's Group Defined Practices and other industry standards (ASME, etc) to ensure proper application of good engineering to equipment and process designs.
- Develop and provide training materials and training to the licensee.
- Provide process engineering support to global PTA and Acetyls sites as required.
- Work collaboratively with Petrochemicals Technology teams, Petrochemicals China Engineering team, and multiple contract staff for the delivery of projects and manufacturing site support.
- Provide HSSE leadership in activities such as HAZOP, LOPA, HAZID, ISD reviews
- Protect BP IP and confidential information
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering
- 5-7 years as a process engineer within manufacturing and/or capital projects; PTA experience preferred
- Track record of technical excellence and delivery in technology environment.
- Proven capability to work and network across a range of technical functions, multi-cultural and geographically extended settings
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills
- The post holder will work with little direct supervision and will be expected to exercise initiative and take responsibility for achieving technical targets within an assigned area