Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Deer Park, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
At the direction of the Laboratory Manager, supervises and performs routine laboratory tests to determine chemical or physical characteristics designated by Saybolt's client. Monitors, to the extent designated by the Laboratory Manager, all laboratory operations, lab quality processes, personnel and safety programs in the designated location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Read and understand all analysis, quality and safety standards in English, including ASTM, UOP, IP and other well-defined analytical standards and procedures used in the laboratory.
- Set up, adjust and operate all laboratory equipment, quality systems and safety programs and assist the Manager to train laboratory staff correctly in testing, quality and safety practices in accordance with applicable standards, company policies and sound laboratory practice.
- Assist in or perform basic analytical tests from well-defined standards and procedures as required by operational considerations.
- Assistant Laboratory Manager training must be documented in the Saybolt Laboratory Chemist/Technician Training Record book, verifying that the Assistant Manager is able to perform all required tests in accordance with applicable standards and sound laboratory practice.
- Supervise and monitor the calibration of laboratory instruments and verify that all chemists and technicians under the Manager's supervision are trained and qualified to calibrate designated instruments and maintain proper calibration records.
- Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Exercise, and require lab employees to exercise, procedural, safety and quality requirements specified in Laboratory Manual #5, Safety Manual #7, and the Core Laboratories Safety and Environmental Manual, and company policies.
- Monitor personal and staff technical, safety and policy training. Determine that laboratory employees have passed appropriate examinations in petroleum, chemical and gas analysis, including Right-to-Know training, hazardous materials disposal, and other safety and compliance training required by the materials tested and handled, and applicable regulations.
- To the extent directed by the Laboratory Manager, supervise laboratory employees and ensure their compliance with acceptable work habits, safety requirements, company policies, compliance to standards and policies, accuracy of test results, attitude and all other aspects of their job performed.
- Assistant Laboratory Managers shall promptly report to the Laboratory Manager when any lab employee does not meet company performance or behavior standards.
- Understand and be able to complete laboratory raw data sheets and make accurate entries into Saybolt's laboratory computer programs.
- Maintain all required quality control documents and have documents available for audit at all times.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A college degree in chemistry, or at least three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with basic computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs is required. This includes mastering the Saybolt Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and the ability to train other laboratory personnel in use of the system as required.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret instructional and technical materials relating to technical procedures, quality management, safety, and applicable government regulations. Ability to write applicable reports and correspondence clearly. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, customers and laboratory staff.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and quantities (linear, volumetric, or weight) and to read and interpolate applicable data and tables. Able to draw and interpret applicable graphs and control charts.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule formats.
Ability to (1) supervise and direct other employees in the laboratory so that the efficiency of the laboratory operations and equipment remains high; (2) maintain applicable laboratory safety programs and good housekeeping practices in the laboratory; (3) understand and satisfy all laboratory quality requirements; (4) ensure that laboratory testing is performed and reported accurately and promptly in accordance with applicable standards; (5) show the potential to improve leadership skills as required in the location.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver's license and a good driving record.
Saybolt requires laboratory management and testing staff to meet the following physical qualifications:
- Pass the drug and alcohol test specified by Saybolt for safety-sensitive employees.
- Be able to work in the presence of odors typical of petroleum or petrochemicals without allergic reactions or nausea. When the cause of such odors is within OSHA-designated permissible exposure limits (PELs).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and test or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Laboratory personnel must regularly lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential funs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Smoking and consuming food or drinks are not permitted in Saybolt laboratories.
Core Laboratories is a leading provider of proprietary and patented Reservoir Description and Production Enhancement.
Located with over 70 offices in more than 50 countries in every major oil-producing province in the world. Core Laboratories remains dedicated to providing the technology our client’s need to enhance their production. We continue to develop and acquire technologies that complement our existing products and services, and we disseminate these technologies throughout our global network.
Our Clients are the world’s largest major, national and independent oil companies. Core Laboratories' reservoir optimization technologies are used to increase total recovery from existing fields. Our services enable our clients to optimize reservoir performance and maximize hydrocarbon recovery from their production fields.
Core Laboratories has taken extensive measures to ensure the services and data provided by all of our worldwide companies are of the highest quality and integrity. Our commitment to applying and developing new technologies to optimize reservoir performance is unsurpassed in the oilfield service industry. This commitment to technology and to our client’s bottom line makes Core Laboratories, The Reservoir Optimization Company™.
Our Culture has been defined by over 70 years of business built on the principles of integrity and ethical conduct in the support of our clients. Our continuing primary goal is “to produce a quality product on time at a competitive price” in a manner consistent with these principles. The integrity of our company and ability to provide quality products and services to our clients are the essence of our business.
These same ethical standards are what we expect from our employees. We could not accomplish the extraordinary results we have in our past and will in our future without talented and dedicated employees – such as we have now.
It is the talented and dedicated employees that have positioned Core Laboratories as the leading provider of reservoir- optimizing technologies. You can feel and see this in our culture. Core Laboratories strives to create an environment for our employees so they can advance in their careers enabling both the company and its employees to build value. Our inclusive culture thrives on team-work and mutual respect for our differences. There are opportunities for everyone to grow.