Experience: 30 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
The work as an apprentice is a practical way of learning a skilled trade through a structured systematic program of on-the-job training AND related instruction to supplement the on-the-job experience. The Program requires a minimum of 2000 hours of on-the-job work experience and recommended minimum of 144 hours of related instruction for each year of apprenticeship. The Apprentice Program takes four years to complete.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Learning and conducting the repair, modification or overhaul various types of equipment or systems. You will assist in the set up and operation of portable machining tools or equipment. This job may involve heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. You must demonstrate the ability to learn and perform equipment modifications (TEMPALTs, SHIPALTs, etc.) in accordance with drawing requirements. You must develop a working knowledge of shipboard mechanical systems (repair/installation practices, procedures, alignments and troubleshooting) and blue print reading. You must learn and demonstrate the ability to perform job functions under the direct supervision of a Mentor or Senior Craftsman. You must develop a high level of critical thinking with reading comprehension. Travel and/or overtime may be required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school education or GED (advanced math or vocational/technical skills are a plus)
- Be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the job
- Be able to obtain a Security Clearance
- Take the Virginia Placement Test and have those result for the job interview
- Take a knowledge and practical skills test prior to the job interview
- Promote safety and quality workmanship as core ethics of everything you do
- Attend class and be on time
- Maintain a cumulative "B" average in your college classes
- Observe good "housekeeping" habits
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Oceaneering Marine Services Division can only hire "US Citizens" who are not dual citizens of any other country to work at its' facilities. You can verify your citizenship with the Self-Check through E-Verify (uscis.gov), if available in your state of residence.
This position is considered PRODUCTION/OUTDOOR WORK which is characterized as follows.
The shipyard/base/manufacturing work environment; the site may contain mobility barriers with uneven ground level and obstructed pathways. Climatic and environmental conditions at the job site will be indoor/outdoor climate with various temperatures and noise levels caused by tools, machinery, equipment, and etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces , k neel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.