Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Requisition Number: 1400 Job Title: Instrumentation Engineer
Date Opened: 12/2/2019 Location: Houston, TX
Industry: Oil & Gas Department: Electrical Engineering
Employment Type: FT Regular Part-Time Available: No
Eligible for US Work Authorization Sponsorship: No
FLSA Exemption: Exempt (Eligible for Straight-Time Overtime)
The Instrumentation Engineer will coordinate with project discipline leaders and other disciplines to insure the integrated design deliverables meet project requirements. This will include reviewing and understanding client provided specifications and all applicable codes and standards.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Review and application of Process Flow Diagrams (PFD's);
· Review and development of P&ID instrumentation;
· Preparation of Control System Philosophy and Narrative documents;
· Preparation of instrument data sheets utilizing SPI (INtools);
· Preparation and review of equipment, material, and package system specifications;
· Perform instrumentation cable sizing calculations and selection;
· Sizing of primary elements, control valves and relief devices;
· Preparation and review of test and commissioning procedures;
· Work with the instrumentation design team in preparing and coordinating construction drawings depicting wiring, tray layouts, process connections, and supports;
· Review and checking of design drawings and vendor packages;
· Review of fabrication, construction and installation details;
· Utilize SPI(INtools) for preparation of design, bid and construction packages
· Provide engineering specifications and support to procurement of equipment, skidded packages, control systems and buildings;
· Participate in cost estimate tasks such as developing Material Take Off (MTO);
· Calculations for and sizing of primary elements, control valves and relief devices
· Participate in pre-commissioning, and commissioning activities;
· Participate in factory acceptance testing of packaged equipment and systems;
· International and domestic travel may be required.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering required;
· P.E. license strongly preferred, with the ability to attain P.E. within 12 months required;
· 6-9 years' experience with the design and implementation of instrumentation and controls systems for offshore oil and gas industry, onshore gas processing, hydrocarbon storage and transportation, chemical manufacturing or refining;
· 6-9 years' experience in using and updating P&ID's in the development of project instrumentation;
· Advanced knowledge in P&ID, Control Philosphy and Control Logic development;
· Experience performing basic and advanced calculations for instrumentation including control valves, relief valves, flowmeters, level instruments, and pressure and temperature instruments required;
· Must be familiar with control and safety systems such as Allen Bradley/Rockwell, Yokogawa, ABB, Siemens, or Honeywell;
· Experience applying SPI(INtools) in design and engineering required;
· Experience with preparing instrument indexes, I/O lists, etc. required;
· Experience working in hazard analysis teams (HAZOP, HAZAN, HAZID) preferred;
· Experience in the use and application of IEC 61511 for Safety Systems preferred;
· Knowledge and experience with appropriate portions of ANSI/NEMA/NFPA/API/UL/ISA/IEEE/IEC codes and standards;
· Ability to work within project centered multi-discipline teams;
· Demonstrated experience managing multiple work scopes;
· Advance technical writing skills with the ability to effectively verbalize technical information;
· Basic Microsoft Office skills with proficiency in Excel required;
· Requires the ability and availability to work overtime and the ability to travel to offsite (including offshore) locations (may require multi-day trips);
· Ability to interact with staff at all levels.
Experience in an Electrical Engineering role including electrical design with regard to power generation, distribution, protection and related controls systems is a strong plus.
· Work is primarily conducted in an office environment (Private or Semi-Private Office) but also requires occasional travel to off-site work locations;
· Field duties require outdoor work in a construction site type atmosphere;
· Interaction with other team members, as well as supervisors and client personnel;
· Working on a construction site or in plant and/or shop areas around production machinery with extreme noise levels
· Must be able to wear safety equipment as required by the safety department for personal protection;
· May be at more than one job site in a day and must be able to tolerate climate changes;
· May be required to travel out of town on a periodic basis.
Physical Requirements (With or without Reasonable Accommodation):
· Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds;
· Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities which permits employee to communicate effectively;
· Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time;
· Sufficient vision or other powers of observation which permits employee to conduct analysis and investigations;
· Sufficient manual dexterity which permit the employee to perform routine office duties;
· Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes to perform office duties and travel when necessary to off-site locations.
This job description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Drug Free Workplace:
EDG Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to a drug free workplace.
Applicants are subject to both pre-employment hair and urine drug screens. Post-hire, employees are subject to random, periodic, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug testing which may include both hair and urine drug screens.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.