The Process Safety Engineer - Risk is a role that is focused on refinery wide management of all risks that affect the business. These risks include process safety, health & safety, environmental, financial, and non-financial risks that require identification, notification, management, and mitigations.
This role provides the ability to lead process safety and overall risk management for a wide-range of topics, across multiple process units, while driving programmatic risk reduction for the entire refinery. The role is responsible for delivery of the annual Risk Book as part of the Downstream Risk Process. This involves multiple interfaces with the site Leadership Team, the Fuels North America COO, Refining VP, and Downstream CEO.
To be successful, the Process Safety Engineer - Risk needs to have strong technical and operational knowledge base in refining to understand process risk and drive technical and management system solutions.
The Process Safety Engineer - Risk is focused on continuous improvement of process safety risk identification, and process safety programs and work processes for the site in a systematic manner; in line with best practices and compliance standards.Key Accountabilities:
- Understand and engage in a wide array of technical elements utilizing influence across the plant to clearly and robustly identify risk and risk mitigations to manage risk across multiple process units; driving consistent and continuous risk reduction for the site.
- Influencing the organization and leading improvements in the site's process hazard awareness, ensuring a consistent and core tie to risk assessment and a strong technical foundation.
- Interface with external BP, professional organizations, and regulatory agencies on WBU process safety management best practices and compliance requirements.
- Identify and lead deeper discussions for situations where additional risk analysis and/or expertise are needed.
- Function as the Subject Matter Expert for the site's Risk Process in the D-28 Practice.
- Organize, facilitate, and lead the development of the Refinery's annual Risk Book submission as part of the Downstream Risk Process.
- Provide site program oversight for Risk Notification and Endorsement.
- Lead internal Barrier Reviews per agreed schedule as part of site's Self-Verification process.
- Track and manage the closure of Yellow and Orange Book actions through routine reviews with key stakeholders.
- Development of Risk One-Pagers that are used to communicate risk performance to Asset Teams and the Site Leadership Team.
- Involvement in development of inputs into BP risk processes, including Major Accident Risk (MAR) studies, facility siting studies, Exclusion Zones, etc.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in Technical Support engineering and Process Engineering roles OR equivalent experience and skill development in a different role
- Demonstrated Technical Leadership skills across multiple technologies and in plant wide situations
- Deep understanding of refining processes and hazards
- Demonstrated Leadership skills and consistent achievement of extraordinary results over a wide range of situations
- Able to communicate passionately about Process Safety and impact the culture is a very positive way.
- Able to communicate and network well at all levels of the organization, including Senior Leadership, the Central Team, and the front line.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license