Experience: 25 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Moscow, Russia
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
BP is one of Russia's largest foreign investors with a history in Russia of over 25 years. BP has a 19.75% shareholding in Rosneft and nominates two members of its board of directors. BP's strategy is to build a material business with Rosneft beyond the shareholding through joint ventures in exploration and production assets and other areas of strategic collaboration. Our current joint ventures cover activities from developing and producing giant onshore oil and gas fields to exploring for new accumulations in areas of mutual interest in East and West Siberia.
BP also has significant Downstream interests in Russia. The lubricants business (Castrol) has direct and indirect sales in Russia and Belarus and has blending arrangements. Air BP, Fuels and Petrochemicals also have interests in Russia.
Key Elements of the Role
Key elements of the role include providing support and counsel for:
However, the Counsel may also be involved in supporting all BP businesses in Russia, including Integrated Supply and Trading. Additionally, the legal team supports BP's ongoing general activities and operations in Russia, including employment, real estate, corporate and social responsibility activities, and advice on local and international sanctions, ABC/AML and competition law issues.
The Counsel, BP Russia will report to the Managing Counsel, BP Russia.
- To be a trusted legal adviser to all BP businesses in Russia and in respect of lubricants Belarus.
- To be a lead lawyer for business development negotiations and to provide support for joint ventures and other BP upstream activities.
- Co-ordinate services from specialist and related functional lawyers in BP Legal and make efficient and focussed use of external counsel.
- Develop and maintain business relationships with legal counterparts and lawyers representing other stakeholders including BP's partners and external counsel.
- Legal education in Russia with specialisation in civil or business or commercial laws
Essential experience and requirements:
- Technical legal excellence and a business-focused and pragmatic approach.
- Extensive experience of commercial contracting matters.
- Experience as lead lawyer for the delivery of complex projects such as joint ventures or other upstream or downstream infrastructure or technology projects, including the negotiation of agreements subject to English law.
- Successful in-house experience in Russia and/or internationally.
- A proven track record of commercial awareness and good business judgement, with high quality contribution to business strategy and delivery.
- Strong client counselling skills with demonstrable ability to assess and effectively communicate relevant legal and business risks and build 'trusted advisor' relationships.
- Proven ability to work as 'one team' with team members, functional and specialist lawyers to deliver optimal business outcomes and to share knowledge and expertise.
- Excellent project management skills - and an ability to deal with ambiguity and conflicting demands.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to develop effective relationships and work effectively with business colleagues and legal colleagues based locally and in other locations.
- Drive, commitment, a bias for action and a preparedness to collaborate and innovate.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Russian, with excellent drafting skills.
- Sanctions - the candidate should not be legally restricted in his or her ability to fully support and advise the business on sanctions issues