This position provides product technical support including quality assurance, and product specifications for the ground transportation fuels in the SA FVC, including Mozambique. The Expert Technologist works closely with, but not limited to, Supply, Refining and Terminals, external customers and suppliers to provide a speedy resolution to fuels technical issues. This position is also responsible for understanding industry issues (like clean fuels and biofuels) and proactively works with relevant teams to develop projects to alleviate possible quality issues.
To provide fuels technical support to Africa FVC businesses, to support effective delivery of branded fuel offer and to play a leading role in ensuring fit for purpose fuel is delivered to our customers via application of good fuels quality assurance practices.
- Work with the Expert Technologist - Quality Assurance to ensure that appropriate fuels quality assurance procedures and practices are available and encourage their implementation.
- Maintain product quality through ensuring the correct additives are used at the recommended dosing rates through liaising with senior Logistics management and Depot Managers on a national basis.
- Conduct fuels product training sessions both internally and externally and specifically assisting the Learning and Development team with compiling technical training programs.
- Develop and maintain external contacts with industry bodies and other oil companies on fuels issues in order to ensure BP representation at the appropriate levels.
- Represent BP on Industry technical forums eg. SAPIA and work with approval bodies, eg. SANS, SABS
- Support business partners including Masana
- Manage fuels quality related projects which provide proactive solutions to quality issues in Southern Africa FVC including Mozambique.
- Monitor the quality of fuels at BP terminals and third party terminals by conducting regular audits.
- Serve as a product specifications expert and interpret and communicate fuels specifications including its implications for the business.
- Conduct fuel quality troubleshooting and investigations and participate in root cause investigations (RCA).
- Support new product roll-out including old product deletion programs from a quality perspective
- Interpret and report data in a form that adds value to the SA FVC and actively participate in the Quality Assurance Steering Committee (QASC).
- Work with Expert Technologist - Quality Assurance to develop Quality Assurance programs that proactively alleviate issues which could arise in the supply chain and industry at large.
- Work with, develop & coach junior & other members of the team by training them & providing support.
Degree in Mechanical, Marine or Chemistry. Experience (years and nature)
Min 5+ yrs of relevant technical experience
A fuels technology background in the oil and gas industry is required for successful application to this position.
The successful candidate is familiar with:
- Gasoline, diesel and/or aviation fuel products,
- Knowledge of oil refining, bulk fuel distribution systems (pipeline/marine transport, terminal storage, handling, rack loading), and retail station equipment,
- Gasoline and diesel regulations as well as recognized national or regional industry specifications,
- Industry accepted laboratory and field sampling and test methods along with test equipment operation for common features of petroleum specifications such as octane, flash, haze, distillation, sulphur, etc,
- Fuel product quality issue problem solving
- Ability to evaluate and articulate the effectiveness of a fuels product quality management system
- Experience of representing the Company on external regulatory bodies a plus
- Strong knowledge of engine/vehicle technology related to fuels, performance & emissions is essential.