The Acetyls Business Unit is one of the business units making up the Petrochemicals Strategic Performance Unit, within the Downstream Segment. It is a business engaged in the entire value chain from Manufacturing through to Marketing and sales. The Acetyls BU is one of the world's leading manufacturers of acetic acid and its derivatives, and owns & deploys its leading technology in Europe, Asia and US. BP Hull Site is the European manufacturing facility for the Acetyls Business Unit and is of significant strategic importance to the global Business, with a focus on manufacturing petrochemicals as well as Research & Technology. The European Acetyls market is forecast to grow steadily over the next few years and the business is committed to a growth agenda to capture a substantial portion of this market growth. Our core product range is Acetic Acid and Acetic Anhydride.Purpose and Dimensions of the Role
The role will have overall accountability for the organisation's HSE and Competency strategy with responsibility for Site HSE performance, including the associated elements of the OMS plan. This role has numerous direct reports and a number of dotted lines in to other teams.This role is based in our Hull office.
Hull is a dynamic location and an upcoming city offering a high standard of facilities and living. Hull was awarded UK City of Culture in 2017.Key Accountabilities
Essential Criteria & Qualifications
- Responsible for the Health, Safety, Security and Environmental HSSE assurance and integrity of an upper tier COMAH site.
- Set example on HSSE responsibilities with all teams with which they interact.
- Overall responsibility for the organisation's HSSE performance, and accountable for developing and implementing the Business HSE strategy. The role has to ensure HSE performance and compliance, whilst balancing the need for production and utility assets to be productive and efficient.
- Responsible for the definition and implementation of the organisation's HSSE strategy that will achieve exemplary safety performance, and will be aligned with the Business strategy.
- Manage and maintain the Site Safety Management System (LOMs, risk register, Operating Management System (OMS) conformance plan, self-verification and Site Standing Orders (SSOs), ensuring that the site's HSSE systems and procedures meet legislative and regulatory compliance.
- Provide a focal point for the site's HSSE expertise and support, ensuring appropriate networks and forums exist to bring together the site's HSE roles embedded across multiple teams.
- Owner of selected OMS sub-elements and/or associated action owner.
- Owner of selected site SSO's, and Approval holder on many.
- Manage the OMS entity annual plan and ensure resource allocation alongside other site activity sets for the year.
- Ensure full compliance with Environmental Permit and COMAH regulations
- Regularly review and audit these systems and procedures to ensure simplicity and effectiveness of execution.
- Accountable for the development and ownership of the annual Business HSSE plan, and for delivering the expectations of the Site HSE Policy.
- Provision of expertise and leadership in the HSSE functional area; manage the health of the site's HSSE capability to drive continuous improvement in these areas.
- Set the European Acetyls HSSE Communications agenda on Site, including safety notice boards, safety weeks and safety stand downs, working closely with the Communications Team to deliver consistency.
- Maintain specific competence and qualifications in OMS as needed to sustain safe, compliant, and reliable operations.
- Report progress in risk identification, sustainable risk reduction, legal compliance and performance improvement.
- Oversight of the overall Occupational Health and Wellbeing offer, delivered through 3rd party services.
- Role may require membership of the Site's Incident Management Team - refer to the IMT role mapping document.
- Lead by example as a role model for BP's leadership values and behaviours, fostering the development of a diverse and inclusive environment, with a strong 'speak up' safety and operating culture.
- Influencing others to implement Safe Working practices.
- HSE Management System Development.
- Safety Policy and Regulation Assurance.
- Leadership / Mentoring / Coaching.
- Proven experience of:
- Process Safety Management including Major Accident Hazard Management.
- Behavioural / Personal Safety Management.
- Environmental Management.
- Occupational Health Management.
- Chartered Member of IOSH (CMIOSH)
- Experience on the approval of Project HSSE Strategies and Plans,
- Experience of the chemical manufacturing industry and preferably Acetic Acid, Acetic Anhydride and Ammonia production, Utilities and Logistics
- Experience in leading risk assessment, auditing and incident investigation.
- Proven ability to proactively manage change.
- Experience of stakeholder engagement outside of Site (e.g. Competent Authorities).
- Able to offer advice and challenge at all levels or organisation.
- Able to simplify systems and maximise efficiency where possible.