Senior Piping Designer General Description:
Develop system designs and layouts from conceptual plans.
Interprets information defined in basis of design as well as information gathered from field surveys, process engineers, industry standards and clients.
Works with project team to ensure CAD standards are implemented consistently to create quality documents.
Trains and mentors others through participating on specific project teams, conducting quality reviews, and providing training.
Collaborates with Process Engineering Manager to identify and develop more efficient tools and methods for CAD related elements of the design process. Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop layout of systems and equipment with project team members. Contacts equipment suppliers as necessary. Coordination occurs primarily through interpersonal communication in project meetings and one-on-one.
- Coordinate with Project Manager and surveyors to establish limits of laser scans to develop as-built models of existing plants. Work with surveyors to establish units of measure and coordinate system benchmarks, identify key reference elements, and elements to be extracted from the point cloud to develop the appropriate amount of detail for the as-built model.
- Works with process engineer to size and select system components.
- Anticipates and identifies design work to be done to meet project deadlines. Work with Project Manager to develop design budget and schedule.
- Works to meet client deadlines including balancing multiple priorities and responding to changes in deadline, scope and design as they occur. Often works on two or more projects in a given time period, depending upon project size and deadline.
- Delegates work, identifies specific tasks, and balances work for CAD Technicians, other designers, and engineering groups among several projects to meet client demands and individual project deadlines. Provides appropriate level of training and, as necessary, reviews work for completeness and accuracy.
- Works with Project Manager and Process Engineer to a) write and edit design specifications; b) respond to Requests for Information (RFIs) incorporating information from project documents, specifications, shop drawings and design criteria; and c) write meeting notes.
- Reads relevant project correspondence and maintains project design files.
- Reviews shop drawing submittals.
- Travels to job sites to perform field verification, and to perform field surveys.
- Proficient in the current version of AutoCAD, CADWorx, and literate in other 3-D modeling software. Able to use file manager systems, zipping/unzipping files, and FTP software. Familiar with Microsoft Office products.
- Able to use Google Earth and mark-up using Bluebeam Revu pdf software.
- Provides leadership for CAD coordination on projects, including initial project set-up, confirming project CAD standards, providing assistance in finding more effective ways to convert drawings, communicates requirements to the project design team.
- Routinely participates in quality reviews with project teams. Engages department leaders, project managers, and outside engineering firms as necessary in addressing quality issues on projects.
- Collaborates with the Process Engineering Manager in identifying and developing more efficient tools and methods for CAD related elements of the design process.
- Keeps abreast of design challenges in the office. Collaborates with others in investigating new applications options, making recommendations on design process improvements, and developing documentation.
- Works with Process Engineering Manager to develop materials and train design staff in the use of CAD systems, standards, and guidelines. Training may occur one-on-one, in lunch-and-learn seminars or with third-party trainers.
- Contributes feedback to employee reviews on the skill level and performance of individuals.
- Experience combining personal judgment with a wide variety of data and information to establish design criteria, develop the Basis of Design (BOD), and evaluate system calculations and design options.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work well in a team environment, including carrying out appropriate follow-through with others, teaching and delegating work, and giving and receiving constructive feedback. Communicates well with clients and with individuals at all levels in the organization.
- Ability to anticipate design work, and to delegate and balance work for others.
- Knowledge of process piping and utilities systems.
- Expertise in using engineering design software, and literate in computer-aided drafting.
- Understanding of applicable design codes and specification requirements, and ability to interpret them.
- Perform field surveys in existing plants, including climbing stairs and ladders, and using man-lifts.
Established in 1978, NES Global Talent provides a complete range of contract and permanent talent solutions to the Oil and Gas, Power, Construction and Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Manufacturing and IT sectors worldwide. With more than 40 offices in 28 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. Offering far more than a traditional recruitment service, we fully support our contractors while they are on assignment with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.