BP Petrochemicals is a material part of BP's Downstream with over 1800 employees in the US, Europe and Asia. Our 15 manufacturing sites are located in the UK, US, Belgium, China, Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia and Taiwan. These have a combined production capacity of 15.1 million tonnes per year. The three primary products are para-xylene (PX), purified terephthalic acid (PTA) and acetic acid (AA), which together form the Aromatics and Acetyls businesses. We also produce methanol, acetic anhydride and meta-xylene.
BP Petrochemicals prides itself on our world leading Technology, an integral part of the Petrochemicals business strategy. The Petrochemicals Technology (PCT) organization delivers value through the development, deployment and optimization of process technologies. PCT is at the forefront of our business enabling both resiliency and growth for Petrochemicals in BP. We create new technology options in sustainability, advancing our lower carbon strategy and transitioning towards a circular plastics economy. This is a particularly exciting time to join Petrochemicals as the business looks to grow, with innovative technologies being key to success.
This role provides highly advanced technical expertise to deliver technical and/or commercial support services, ensuring the effective and strategic application of high-end technical skills and capabilities to key business priorities, contributing to strategic development and building BP's industry leadership position, serving as a liaison with the wider BP Group and maintaining an understanding of emerging technology requirements to drive continuous improvement.Purpose of the Role
The Process Engineering Advisor in the Petrochemicals technology team provides deep technical expertise in process engineering design, innovation, scale-up, process and reactor modelling and intellectual property creation. The post holder generates business impact by applying these capabilities in the development of new petrochemicals process technologies. An initial area of focus will be work on new acetic acid processes alongside contributing more widely across petrochemicals technologies as priorities dictate. Key Accountabilities
- Provide HSSE Leadership in Petrochemicals Technology
- Be a focal point for process innovation providing deep technical expertise and leadership in process modelling, reactor modelling and process technology scale-up.
- Drive the generation and evaluation of innovative new process technology options and solutions.
- Drive the development of optimised process flowsheets for selected new petrochemicals process technologies including next generation Acetyls technologies.
- Lead evaluations of engineering designs concepts for new technologies to determine their likelihood of technical success and competitive advantage.
- Draw on experience and expertise to identify, quantify and develop mitigation strategies for new technology risks, particularly those related to process scale-up and commercialization.
- Assimilate information and data across a broad spectrum of technical disciplines, challenge conventional thinking to identify new technology opportunities and risks.
- Provide process engineering support to the design and construction of pilot plants, laboratory technical units and third-party installations.
- Provide process engineering support to commercial plant designs resulting from new process technology developments and scale-up activities.
- Pro-actively keep up to date with process engineering developments within and outside BP ensuring that the collective knowledge of industry and academia is brought to bear on technology challenges and opportunities.
- Provide advisory level input on process engineering innovation and scale-up to inform Petrochemicals technology strategy, organisational capability and health of the discipline.
- Coach and mentor process engineers to grow technical skills across Petrochemicals Technology
- Protect BP know-how and confidential information and generation of process patent filings
Essential experience and job requirements
- Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Knowledge and understanding of process safety and demonstrated safety leadership.
- Significant experience and industrial application of technical expertise in petrochemical processes; engineering flowsheets, reactor design, separations, heterogenous catalysis and development of both reactor and kinetics models.
- Highly skilled in process simulation, proven ability to develop novel process models from scratch in software packages such as Aspen.
- Specific expertise and experience in new process technology development, innovation, process scale-up and commercialisation.
- Knowledge and experience of Acetic Acid, Syngas and Aromatics technologies and manufacturing processes is advantageous.
- Track record of technical excellence and delivery in technology development including the commercial deployment of new technologies
- Demonstrable technical leadership, driving delivery of technical solutions across a range of technical programmes.
- Strong business acumen and proven ability to understand process technology economics, industry trends, customer needs, competitor activity and sources of technology competitive advantage.
- Track record of taking innovative approaches, delivering novel technology solutions to technical challenges from concept trough to commercial implementation.
- Strong networking, communication relationship building and influencing skills demonstrated across a range of teams and stakeholders.