Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Skills: Design Engineer, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Space Systems (OSS) is a precision engineering and manufacturing group which specializes in turn-key design, development, manufacturing, certification, maintenance, and testing of extra-vehicular and intra-vehicular (EVA & IVA) tools and equipment for astronauts; including life support and environmental control systems for space; robotic systems for military, space, and biological research; and thermal protection systems for launch vehicles. We also provide specialized engineering and support services in these areas, and astronaut training in NASA's Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Space Systems (OSS). This position is located in Clear Lake, Texas.
Working under moderate supervision, the engineer will contribute directly to the design of the next generation NASA robotic and exploration vehicle platforms with an emphasis on creating new, integrated electrical system designs for embedded sensor-based motor controls, high power motor drive systems, battery and power distribution systems, and electromechanical power conversion for high performance robot actuation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Section Manager as part of a group of over 30 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers and Designers.
- Work directly with NASA Johnson Space Center and the Robotic Systems Technology Branch in designing the next generation of embedded motor control systems.
- Contribute directly to the design of the next generation NASA robotic and exploration vehicle platforms with an emphasis on creating new, integrated electrical system designs for embedded sensor-based motor controls, high power motor drive systems, battery and power distribution systems, and electromechanical power conversion for high performance robot actuation.
- Support new designs from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of related engineering.
- Experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer.
- Experience with FPGA circuitry design and coding in associated VHDL development environments.
- Experience with hardware and VHDL-based development for motor control systems (includes brushless DC or BLDC and stepper motors).
- Experience with DC electromechanical power conversion (high power, high performance actuation, electric motors and
- motor drive electronics, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, NASA space-flight hardware.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.