Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
This position has responsibility for the provision of legal services to the US Pipelines and Logistics business along with exposure to and support of the US Refining, Chemicals and Supply businesses. The Counsel role is primarily responsible for providing strategic legal advice and counsel to the VP, US Pipelines and Logistics, East of Rockies Performance Unit, and respective Leadership Team and Commercial Business Manager on key legal developments and issues affecting the US Pipelines and Logistics business and certain aspects of its MLP, BP Midstream Partners LP, including recommendation of legal strategy for management of key issues and to play an active role in the development and implementation of legally compliant and commercially focused business strategies.
Reporting to the Managing Counsel - Downstream Manufacturing & Logistics, this role is also responsible for identifying matters which require the services of specialist attorneys from HSSE Legal, Litigation, LEEB, Real Estate and Tax, and works closely with those specialists as a coordinator of the legal issues and risks facing the Pipelines and Logistics business in the U.S.
- Responsible for the performance and management of legal services to the US Pipelines and Logistics (USPL) business.
- Serving as a member on the USPL Leadership Team with requisite skills to provide substantive input regarding legal, and non-legal issues as necessary, such as leading people and advancing the business of USPL generally.
- Lead all aspects of various joint venture (JV) structures including corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and undivided joint interest holdings, including negotiating, drafting and crafting new joint venture arrangements.
- Handle all aspects of operated joint ventures and non-operated joint ventures (NOJVs).
- Negotiate and draft documents related to the USPL business including Throughput and Deficiency Agreements, Terminal Agreements, Connection Agreements, and Tank and Storage Lease Agreements.
- Support the USPL Right-of-Way and Land Team including assisting in negotiating, drafting and interpreting Easements, Leases, Licenses and Permitted Facilities Agreements, including advice regarding disputes with underlying landowners.
- Support USPL related to certain aspects of its MLP, BP Midstream Partners LP, especially regarding sales of USPL assets or interests to its MLP and also related to the structure of USPL and its MLP and other general aspects of the MLP.
- Responsibilities include overall USPL FERC compliance including related to internal safeguards and structure and advice regarding tariff and rate making strategy, and Open Seasons.
- Gain exposure to the U.S. Refining business through contract review and drafting including procurement, storage, off-take, and transportation agreements with third-party providers.
- Gain exposure to the Petrochemicals business through contract review and drafting including procurement, supply and logistics agreements.
- Develop strong relationships with and provide strategic and commercially focused legal advice to VP, US Pipelines and Logistics, East of Rockies Performance Unit and Leadership Team on key legal issues.
- Accountability for the legal advice and the advice provided by specialist and/or external lawyers on the relevant legal issues affecting the US Pipelines and Logistics business.
- Assist the Managing Counsel in implementing a clear legal strategy and common standards and processes across BP's US Pipelines and Logistics, US Refining (the three US refineries at Cherry Point, Whiting and Toledo), US Petrochemicals, Procurement and Supply businesses.
- Working with Compliance & Ethics to help ensure effective implementation of the US Downstream compliance agenda within the US Pipelines and Logistics business.
- Proactively manage the legal budget associated with the US Pipelines and Logistics legal matters.
- Ability to effectively advise, and communicate with, very senior BP executives regarding complex legal matters.
- Demonstrated excellent performance in leading multiple high dollar value, high risk commercial projects to maximize value and successfully manage business and legal risk, including various transactions related to joint ventures and joint venture creation.
Degree in Law
Essential experience and job requirements
- 7-10 years practicing law (in-house or external).
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior management on a strategic level.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a part of a broader legal team.
- Strong technical legal skills, combined with an ability to take a strategic view on the challenges and issues facing the pipelines business.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at ; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement