The Safety Systems Lifecycle Engineer serves as a site technical resource assuring that the Safety Instrumented Systems in service or being designed and commissioned for service at Toledo Refinery comply with both BP standards and industry best practices in their design, performance, and maintenance throughout the Safety Lifecycle. Key functions of the role will include analyzing and reporting on SIS Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Also making appropriate recommendations to operations and maintenance to assure the system is delivering the expected safety functions reliably. The Lifecycle Engineer will also review and approve designs for new or modified SIS installations and where necessary update the site technical practices governing the SIS life cycle, participating in hazard risk analysis including Hazard and Operability Reviews (HAZOP) and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA), and performing functional safety assessments.Essential Functions / Key Accountabilities:
- Provides support for safety system engineering activities throughout the refinery.
- Work with contractors to ensure that existing systems and new projects are compliant with the requirements of the SIS Lifecycle Program as documented in the Site Technical Practices
- Responsible for overseeing the development of all aspects of safety systems, including development of the SRS (Safety Requirements Specification), definitions of the SIF (Safety Instrumented Functions), testing requirements and system validations.
- Development and oversight of the processes required to insure compliance with both internal BP and external industry standards (IEC 61508, IEC 61511, ISA S84.01).
- Periodic review of site technical practices for management of SIS systems. Consult with other BP sites as appropriate.
- Participate in hazard risk analysis including Hazard and Operability Reviews (HAZOP) and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA).
- Develop and execute program to ensure that existing systems meet requirements of applicable standards.
- Develops refinery safety system projects including scope definition, engineering design, field execution, project startup, and documentation.
- Provide technical input to development of required training programs and operations and maintenance procedures.
- Support the Site Technical Authority - SIS in the development, implementation, and maintenance of site technical practices related to this area.
- Participate in design reviews of safety instrumented functions (SIF's), performing functional safety assessments
Required: BS degree in an Engineering-related disciplineExperience:
Required: Five years engineering experience related to safety systemsSkills:
• Analyzing Problems/Troubleshooting & Problem Solving: Systematically determine the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take
• Familiarity with pertinent industry standards. Strong working knowledge of process hazards analysis techniques
• Knowledge of ISA SP84.01 specification required.
• Basic understanding of refinery processes and associated hazards required such as HAZOP and LOPA. Basic understanding of operations, maintenance, projects, and engineering work processes.
• Understanding of the manufacturing process including proper use of technology
• Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process
• The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted
• Assist in HAZOPs, MOC's, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis
• Computer Programs- Computer proficiency in standard desktop and instrument engineering software, as well as, Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft WordCertifications / Licenses:
Required: TUV Functional Safety Engineer , ISA84 SIS Fundamentals Specialist, or equivalent