BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effective and new business models. You are the Platform Engineering Specialist, working within a team that provides custom-built or customized IT platforms for BP colleagues and external users.
IT platforms generally support hosting of applications, which in turn, supports revenue earning activity for BP, or directly provides business functionality in the same vein. Strong themes running throughout Platform Engineering include automation of manual activity, focus on operational integrity at scale, optimization of technical resources, and speed to value.
At IT&S, all the roles are within Chapters. While your role will continue to remain within the Chapter, your initial activities described below may change over time.
- Platform Integrity Squad looks after billing and recoveries of cloud consumption to our internal segments and functions at global scale. It further provides stewardship for operational integrity across our cloud engineering platform by standardizing practices, defining standards and best practices, and automating policy enforcement.
- Your role will initially be focused on designing and automating our global billing product so experience in designing solutions in finance, billing and associated data analytics is desirable.
- Manage and prepare reports for senior stakeholder using a high degree of automation
- Collaborates with peers across IT&S teams and mentors more junior software engineers.
You will work with users, Software Engineers and Business Analysts to understand how to best translate requirements into technical solution designs for platforms. You will develop and test custom built or customized IT platforms and contribute to technical designs. You are familiar with platform technologies and can operate and maintain custom built or customized IT platforms. You will work according to professional engineering practices, including Internet protocols, coding standards and reviews, source control management, build processes and operations.Platform:
You will provide input to iterate and improve technical standards for platform engineering based on Agile delivery solutions. You will work with the team to maximize value from current applications and emerging technologies, showing technical thought leadership in your business area across a wide range of technologies.Relationships:
You will collaborate with peers across IT&S teams throughout the full software and solution delivery lifecycle.Technology:
You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for Platform Engineering and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.Safety and Compliance:
Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. You will advocate and lead in this and promote a culture of security and compliance in everything that we do.Essential Education
Ideally a Bachelor's (or higher) degree, preferably in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.Essential Experience and Job RequirementsTechnical capability:
- Programming/Software Development
- Requirements Definition and Management
- System Design
- Technical Specialism
- Method and Tools
- Capacity Management
Business capability: Leadership and EQ:
- Application Support
- Business Analysis
- Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Quality Management
- System Integration
- Data Analysis
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Release and Deployment
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, while understanding cultural differences.
- You continually enhance your self-awareness and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- Well organized, you balance proactive and reactive approaches and multiple priorities to complete tasks on time.
- You apply judgment and common sense - you use insight and good judgment to inform actions and respond to situations as they arise.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and demonstrate strong leadership through BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- Provide ongoing feedback to your employee tree, both formally and informally, with the aim of supporting their performance and development within the Chapter.
- Coach and mentor to help build domain experience amongst peers
- Be responsible for Chapter member's personal development and the management of performance reviews.
- Contribute to relevant supply and demand conversations, to adequately staff squads with appropriately skilled employees.
- Assess candidates as part of the Talent Acquisition process, interviewing to identify future IT&S talent.
- Sharing knowledge (cross-pollination) between Chapter members that can be utilised by various Squads.
- You have good knowledge and understanding of modern development methodologies (Agile using Scrum and/or Kanban)
- You know about DevOps practices and techniques such as Value Stream Mapping, Lean, flow, eliminating waste.
- You have experience of modern approaches to source-code management and control through tools such as TFS and Git/GitHub.
- You have good interpersonal skills including the ability to relate complex topics in simple and accessible language.
- You have solid knowledge of adjacent domains such as platforms, storage, databases, etc. You know your way around a command-line.