Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer, Instrumentation Technician
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
What's the role?
The role is to oversee all business critical systems (BCS) related to Life Safety, Building Management, Laboratory Control and Information Management. This position focuses on providing Quality Assurance and Quality Control for the installation, maintenance and application of the software and architecture of these systems which include but not limited to Building Management Control Systems (BMCS), Life Safety Systems (LSS), PA Systems, Security Systems, Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), general Control Systems/Scada Systems (CS), Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), Process Control Network (PCN) and Site Historian (OSI PI) at Shell Technology Center - Houston (STCH). These activities also include managing contractors & contacts that are utilized to support these activities & systems.
- Support C&P when developing contractual technical requirements & SLA(s) for contacts with 3rd parties supporting systems under the responsibility of this role.
- Design, specify, implement, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of the site's BMCS, Life Safety, Security and PA Systems.
- Design, specify, implement, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of process automation systems (PAS). Process automation systems include control systems architecture, hardware, applications, operator interface, asset management systems, communication systems, process control domain integrity and safeguarding requirements.
- Design, specify, implement, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of a Safety Instrumented System (SIS) or safeguarding system (including Fire and Gas) in accordance with the relevant industry and Shell standard risk assessment methodology.
- Design, specify, install, commission, maintain, manage, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of Process Control Domain (PCD) security systems and networks while assuring the PCD assets perform to the required business integrity, availability and confidentiality targets as defined via a risk based approach.
- Design, specify, implement, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of an Operational Interface, including Human Machine Interface (HMI), Graphics and Alarm Management systems in accordance with relevant Shell and industry standards.
- Design, specify, implement, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of the integration of analytical equipment to process automation & data acquisition systems.
- Design, specify, install, maintain, modify, troubleshoot and assess performance of base layer control schemes as well as advanced process control (APC) schemes.
- Design, specify, install, maintain, modify, interfaces to the site data historian and insure reliable data availability to the user desktop and other interfaces via remote notification.
- Ensure meaningful KPI's are in place to measure the health and performance of these systems and available 24-7 to operations and the boardroom.
- Manage a variety of types and vintages of DCS, CS, BMCS & Life Safety software, hardware and interfaces to specialized equipment and the application of these systems to support the safe & secure operation of building systems and experimental pilot units.
- Provide technical assurance and manage performance of 3rd parties utilized to support this site systems.
- Sr Digital Specialist must be able to manage multiple maintenance & project activities. Typical capital project activity to range from 100K to 2.0M.
- Provide technical direction for multi-skilled (I&E Technicians to DCS/CS/Database Programmers) support staff.
- This position deals with many interfaces primarily at STCH. Interpersonal skills, negotiating skills, networking ability and ability to manage multiple interfaces with varying need and priority are critical to success in this position.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Degree in technical related field with minimum five (5) years experience with control system and database applications or ten (10+) years of proven applicable experience.
- Skill to maintain systems used for BMCS and Life Safety Systems.
- Extensive DCS/PLC maintenance/installation background specific to Honeywell.
- Extensive understanding of process instrumentation measurement, application theory and advanced control schemes.
- Strong Computer skills - basic (word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphics, etc.) and troubleshooting.
- Strong understanding of the application, maintenance and security requirements of a Process Control Network (PCN).
- Interpersonal skills and use of Enterprise First Behaviors (Leadership, Accountability, Teamwork)
- Mastery in database management to include installation/troubleshooting/maintenance.
- An understanding of the overall strategies developed for process instrumentation/control and information systems.
- Mastery to estimate, design, purchase, install and start-up new control and computing hardware/software.
- Knowledge and understanding of Experimental Pilot Units.
- HS&E Knowledge of orders, policies and procedures, regulations, codes and Management Systems (HSE, Asset, environmental, general, etc.) or willingness to learn.
- An understanding of Management/Scheduling Systems and application of quality elements in day-to-day activities.
- Mastery in troubleshooting skills specific to DCS, software applications and instrumentation.
- Ability to understand safeguarding functions of instrumentation.
- Assures compliance with IPF requirements - updates and executes testing procedures, assures follow-up on design deficiencies.
- Ability to read P&IDs, Loop Drawings, Ladder Logic and other similar control systems documents.
- Knowledge of Shell DEPs and other industry standards and assures that installations are in accordance with these standards to include knowledge of applicable equipment procedures, policies, and standards.
- Awareness/Knowledge of tools used for maintenance and practices: bad actor recognition; maintenance philosophies (breakdown, preventive, etc), Maintenance Management Systems; manpower, cost benchmarking; spare parts management.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video