Skills: Process Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Toledo, Ohio, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Essential Functions / Key Accountabilities:
- Monitor equipment and process. Provide trouble-shooting expertise to Operations and Optimization
- Provides process engineering support to the refinery within defined areas of accountability. They provide technical expertise to achieve the safe, reliable and optimal operations of their assigned process through the appropriate application of process engineering, process control and process technology.
- Ensure that the technical input required for proper target setting is available on a daily basis
- Ensure that equipment performance is being reflected in the optimization targets.
- Provide input and recommendations to assist Operations in prioritizing maintenance to ensure maximum commercial performance
- Optimize variable costs by leveraging technical knowledge and a proactive approach to energy management
- Analyze variance between the commercial plan and actual performance and assist the optimization team in closing the variance
- Evaluate catalyst options and make selection recommendations, monitor performance and schedule optimal replacement
- Participates in HazOps and LOPAs
- Participate in incident investigations
- Provide technical support and leadership on product quality issues and identify opportunities
- Support reporting and verification activities for safety and environmental compliance (Title V) and Flare Subpart Ja
- Provide technical review of procedures
- Provide mentoring to peers, optimization and Operations personnel on technical subjects. Assist in technical training
- Maintain current knowledge of technology specialty
- Embed best practices and industry advancements at Toledo
- Conduct regular plant tests and heat & mass balances to maintain accurate models and identify deterioration of the asset capability
- Support the innovation process in the business unit by identifying and initiating growth and innovation projects
- Provide technical input into Capital Projects as requested
- Understands and is compliant with all Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies and procedures
- Ensure safe operating limits and availability operating envelopes are understood.
- Investigates and resolves recurring SOLs/SDLs exceedances.
- Initiate and lead Management of Change (MOCs) and Process Safety Minimum Expectations (PSME) gap analysis
- Identify and justify TAR scope
- Support TAR planning and execution
- Participate in their relevant CIF activities
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering
- Required: Minimum 3 years experience in refining, or like process industry including chemical, manufacturing, nuclear.
- Preferred: Refinery experience.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Analyzing Problems/Troubleshooting & Problem Solving: Systematically determine the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take
- Understanding of the manufacturing process including economics, commercial awareness, optimization opportunity identification and proper use of technology
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process
- Build, maintain and utilize kinetic and equipment models to monitor equipment and catalyst performance, identify deterioration and evaluate options and opportunities
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC's, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis
- Computer Programs- Computer proficiency in standard desktop and instrument engineering software, as well as, Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, PI Process Book, Petrosim
The Process Engineer is the process technical adviser for an operating area. They provide unbiased technical evaluations of process issues to continuously improve the safety, reliability, and business performance of the refinery operations. The incumbent participates in a continual process of learning and engineering capability development over a 3-5 year period.
This role will provide Process Engineering coverage for the refinery gasoline blending, LPG storage, tank fields, and shipping functions. It will also serve as the site Product Quality Engineer, providing technical support for product quality issues and helping to create robust product quality assurance processes for the site. This summary is meant to be an overall job description and does not include all tasks that might be required for the position.