BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effective and new business models. You are the Platform Engineering Lead, a senior member in the team providing custom-built or customized IT platforms for BP colleagues and external users. IT platforms generally support hosting of applications which in turn, supports revenue earning activity for BP, or directly provides business functionality in the same vein. Strong themes running throughout Platform Engineering include automation of manual activity, focus on operational integrity at scale, optimization of technical resources, and speed to value.
You will work with the team to define vision and maximize value from current technical platforms and emerging technologies, showing technical thought leadership. You will also collaborate with peers across IT&S teams and mentor more junior platform engineers.
At IT&S, all the roles are within Chapters. While your role will continue to remain within the Chapter, your initial activities described below may change over time.Team:
You will lead teams of Software Engineers and Business Analysts to translate relevant business requirements into designs for technical platforms. You will design, test and operate custom built or customized IT platforms aimed at improving business delivery processes. You will work according to professional engineering practices, including Internet protocols, coding standards and reviews, source control management, design and operations processes.Platforms:
You will work with the team to create a clear vision and maximize value from current applications and emerging technologies, demonstrating technical thought leadership in your business area across a wide range of technologies.Relationships:
You will contribute to the continuous improvement of the wider IT&S team by supporting and coaching Platform Engineers and proactively improving the quality standards and efficiency of delivery.Technology:
You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, managing the delivery of process and system improvements, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for Platform Engineering and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.
Safety and Compliance:Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. You will advocate and lead in this and promote a culture of security and compliance in everything that we do.Essential Education
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- Ideally a Bachelor's (or higher) degree, preferably in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
- Capacity Management
- Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Methods and Tools
- Network Design
- Programming/Software Development
- Release and Deployment
- Requirements Definition and Management
- System Design
- Systems Installation/Decommissioning
- Technical Specialism
Business capability:Leadership and EQ:
- Availability Management
- Database Administration
- Quality Management
- Security Administration
- System Integration
- Data Analysis
- Porting/Software Configuration
- You always empower people - encouraging positive team morale and ensuring that every team member with expertise has the power to make decisions, at the lowest possible level.
- You always get the basics right, from quality development conversations to recognition and ongoing performance feedback. You can develop, coach, mentor and inspire others.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and ensure your team does too. You also demonstrate strong leadership of BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- You create an environment where people listen and can speak openly about the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that everyone can understand and learn.
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, naturally looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, and building trust-based relationships with leaders and employees across IT&S and BP.
- You are self-aware and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- You apply judgment and common sense at scale - you use insight and good judgment to deliver commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- Cultural fluency - you operate across cultural boundaries with sensitivity.