Skills: IT - Analysis & Management
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effective and new business models. You are a Platform Engineering Lead, working as a senior member within a team to provide custom built or customised IT platforms to BP colleagues and external users. IT platforms generally support hosting of applications which support revenue earning activity for BP, or directly provide business functionality in the same vein. Strong themes running throughout platform engineering include automation of manual activity, focus on operational integrity at scale, optimisation of technical resources, and speed to value.
You will work with the team to define vision and maximise value from current technical platforms and emerging technologies, showing technical thought leadership. You will also collaborate with peers across IT&S teams and mentor more junior platform engineers.
Team: You will lead teams of Platform Engineers and Business Analysts to translate relevant business requirements into designs for technical platforms. You will design, test and operate custom built or customized IT platforms aimed at improving business delivery processes. You will work according to professional engineering practices, including Internet protocols, coding standards and reviews, source control management, design and operations processes.
Platforms: You will work with the team to create a clear vision and maximize value from current applications and emerging technologies, demonstrating technical thought leadership in your business area across a wide range of technologies. You will engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of enterprise database services-from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement. You will support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews. You will maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health. You will scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity. You will have expertise in delivering sustainable incident response and post-mortems.
Relationships: You will contribute to the continuous improvement of the wider IT&S team by supporting and coaching Platform Engineers and proactively improving the quality standards and efficiency of delivery.
Technology: You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, managing the delivery of process and system improvements, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for Platform Engineering and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.
Safety and Compliance: Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. You will advocate and lead in this and promote a culture of security and compliance in everything that we do.Essential Education
- Ideally a Bachelor's (or higher) degree from a recognized institute of higher learning, ideally focused in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
- 10 years' experience in a relevant role or roles.
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- Capacity Management
- Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Methods and Tools
- Network Design
- Programming/Software Development
- Release and Deployment
- Requirements Definition and Management
- System Design
- Systems Installation/Decommissioning
- Technical Specialism
- Availability Management
- Database Administration
- Quality Management
- Security Administration
- System Integration
- Data Analysis
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Platform Engineering
Leadership and EQ:
- You always empower people - encouraging positive team morale and ensuring that every team member with expertise has the power to make decisions, at the lowest possible level.
- You always get the basics right, from quality development conversations to recognition and ongoing performance feedback. You can develop, coach, mentor and inspire others.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and ensure your team does too. You also demonstrate strong leadership of BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- You create an environment where people listen and can speak openly about the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that everyone can understand and learn.
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, naturally looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, and building trust-based relationships with leaders and employees across IT&S and BP.
- You are self-aware and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- You apply judgment and common sense at scale - you use insight and good judgment to deliver commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- Cultural fluency - you operate across cultural boundaries with sensitivity.
- Confidence with database engines in an enterprise environment (such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Exposure to adjacent domains such as platforms, storage, networking, etc. Know your way around a command-line.
- Good knowledge development methodologies (Agile using Scrum and/or Kanban).
- Knowledge of DevOps practices and techniques such as Value Stream Mapping, Lean, flow, eliminating waste.
- Experience with modern approaches to source-code management and control through tools like TFS/Atlassian and GitHub/Bitbucket.
- SAFe DevOps Practitioner Certification
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
- Expertise in developing scalable solutions in the public cloud, on-premise including Microsoft Azure andAWS
- Expertise in designing, analysing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Expertise in networkingand understanding of network theory and topologies, such as: TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc (MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Proficient in GIt including trunk-based development
- Proficient in Continuous Delivery tooling and practices
- Proficient in DevOps and site reliability engineering practices
- Strong experience withLinux and Windowsoperating systemson bare metal, virtualized, containerized server configurations
- Able to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Expertise in the following scripting languages: Python, Power Shell Core, sh/bash/csh
- Strong working knowledge of core Azure services (VMs, storage, networking)
- Desirable knowledge of big data / AI - related Azure services (ADLS, Databricks, HDInsight, ADF)
- Strong knowledge of virtualization environments (KVM, VMware) and associated technologies (iSCSI storage, networking)