Responsible for delivering software / platform engineering activities (depending on specialism), using advanced technical capabilities to fully understand user requirements, acting as the lead for the design, development and maintenance of a software system / infrastructure platform, and assisting in creating the vision to maximize value from current and emerging technologies. Specialisms: Software Engineering; Platform Engineering.Are you looking to start your career in a pleasant environment with diverse development opportunities?
In IT&S we are committed to the provision of flexible working arrangements. Agile or flexible working encompasses a wide range of working options which support individuals to their full potential. It is more than ad hoc home working or part-time working, it's about finding the best way and role modelling BP's IT technology to get a job done, that works well for both the business and our employees.Join our team at BP and advance your career as a Software Engineering Lead (UK / Germany / Spain / Poland / Netherlands)!
Have you got the courage to keep advancing
You will be a Software Engineering Lead who works as a senior member within a team to provide innovative, custom built software to BP colleagues and external users. This custom software either supports revenue earning activity or helps reduce costs within BP functions by automating manual activity. Ultimately, this work will help us become a digital leader in our sector, so we can drive energy transition and solve real-world problems.
When you join our IT&S team as a Software Engineering Lead
, you will be responsible for:
- Team: Developing the capability of your teams to deliver the most agile solutions is one of your top priorities. Our culture is exploring, thinking and doing, and you will live this every single day. Working across the team you will identify, assess and manage risks that may affect the success of the project.
- Relationships: You will develop and maintain a series of internal and external stakeholder relationships and support project delivery. You will work with the team to get the most value from current applications and emerging technologies, leading technical thinking across a wide range of technologies. The role requires ability to influence and inspire change in a positive and impactful way.
- Software Engineering: You will lead teams of software engineers and business analysts to facilitate the translation of relevant business requirements into designs for technical platforms.You will design, test and operate custom built or customised IT solutions aimed at improving business delivery processes. You will act in accordance with professional engineering practices, including Internet protocols, coding standards and reviews, source control management, design and operations processes.
- Technology: You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, managing the delivery of process and system improvements, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.
In the Software Engineering Lead role, we have the following requirements:
- Safety and Compliance: Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. We will advocate and help ensure our architectures, designs and processes enhance a culture of operational safety and improve our digital security.
- Ideally, you'll have a Bachelor's (or higher) degree, preferably in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science and/or relevant work experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in a relevant, Software Engineering role in Digital Transformation
- Good knowledge and understanding of modern development methodologies (Agile using Scrum and/or Kanban)
- Knowledge of DevOps practices and techniques such as Value Stream Mapping, Lean, flow, eliminating waste
- Experience with modern approaches to source-code management and control through tools like TFS and Git/GitHub
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to relate complex topics in simple and accessible language
- Essential Skills: Programming / Software Development; Requirements Definition and Management, System Design, Emerging Technology Monitoring, Technical Specialism
Apply now to our team and lead BP through the biggest modernization of our decade!