Responsible for providing Subsea Riser expertise to projects or operations, including maintenance, inspection and turnaround, proactively interacting with other disciplines, teams, subfunctions and contractors to systematically resolve problems and applying sound engineering judgement to drive integrated, pragmatic solutions focused on risk management, operating efficiency, defect elimination and standardisation.The Upstream Engineering Centre (UEC) hosts central engineering resources that support operating and project functions through tactical technical service work, maintenance of engineering standards & practice and conducting strategic focus area work to improve engineering discipline activity.
The Materials team within UEC hosts subject matter experts in the following sub-disciplines: Pipelines, Materials & Welding, Production Chemistry, Inspection, Subsea, Risers and Corrosion.
The team provides support to BP's upstream businesses globally with resources based in Sunbury, Houston and Aberdeen. The role of this team is to provide expert consultancy to operations and projects, to prepare and maintain company practices, to drive continuous improvement in design and operations, to provide coaching and development through training courses and to participate in industry and other external activities.
The Riser Engineer role reports through the Riser Segment Engineering Technical authority team leader and is responsible for managing small engineering studies, research projects, technical practices/guides and leading specialist technical studies on dynamic riser systems and fluid-structure-interaction problems to BP's projects and operations teams.Key Accountabilities
- Identify, communicate and manage Health, Safety, and Environmental risks.
- Work as a professional riser engineering consultant in support of BP operations and projects
- Plan, organise and lead engineering studies for riser, flexible pipe and fluid-structure-interaction analysis.
- Plan, organise and manage engineering studies with external contractors and consultants.
- Provide technical support to the projects and operations activities.
- Interface with discipline engineers in key associated disciplines e.g. pipelines, subsea, floating systems, flow assurance, materials.
- Maximise value for BP through effective application of engineering practice and procedure, efficient use of resources and effective risk management.
- Support annual planning and budgeting process and assist in performance management.
- Lead focus area projects in support of strategic company objectives.
- Represent BP at industry forums and Joint Industry Projects.
- Support the development and maintenance of internal engineering technical practices and guidance documents in riser engineering area.
- Be a specialist engineer in riser hydrodynamics, turret systems or fluid-structure-interaction subject areas.
- Support Community of Interest and Community of Practice activities.
- Support riser concept engineering assessments.
- Provide input to internal riser engineering training courses
- Support the associated R&Dprojects led by Upstream Technology.
- Bachelors' Degree or higher qualification in an Engineering discipline
- Chartered or Professional Engineer
- Experience with riser engineering or related engineering roles within the offshore industry.
- Strong skills with hydrodynamic analysis of marine structures.
- Strong skills in analytical modelling techniques.
- Experience of the specification and procurement of riser & pipeline equipment
- Familiar with Flexible pipe design and integrity management.
- Familiar with welding and fatigue assessment techniques.
- Understand corrosion, corrosion-fatigue and coatings requirements for subsea equipment
- Working knowledge of riser and pipeline industry codes and standards.
- Experience of riser construction, repair and maintenance activities
- Willingness to travel globally.
- Personal commitment to high standards in Health and Safety Security & Environment
- Good networking skills.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis techniques.
- Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamics techniques
- Working knowledge of mechanical equipment design practices and standards used for deepwater floating systems
- Experience of thermal insulation and buoyancy design and construction
- Experience in project engineering and management