Job Profile Summary
IST Information Technology & Services (IT&S) is the progressive global IT arm of BP. The expertise IT&S provides is central to the operation and development of Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) - one of the world's largest energy trading businesses. Delivering innovative solutions for supply and commodity trading activity across IST's Global Gas and Oil Strategic Performance Units is at the heart of what IT&S does.
Our people and culture are diverse, reflecting the truly global nature of our business - in excess of 500 employees provide a presence in over 50 countries, with key hubs in London, Chicago, Houston, Calgary and Singapore. We support our people by offering an exciting variety of professions and provide excellent training opportunities to help them progress their careers.
Reporting to the European Gas and Power Solution Manager this role is to look after the European Gas and Power transaction pipeline suite of production systems i.e. Openlink Endur, including the delivery, performance and capability agenda across that organisation.
You will bring dedication and enthusiasm to high quality and timely project delivery and will exhibit excellent mentoring skills. We expect you to seek out areas for improvement across the systems estate on working practices, delivery methodology, silent running and team performance, and lead those through to delivery.
You will work with a wide range of senior business partners across the entire userbase, which includes LNG and Global Environmental Products business, and will be expected to play an active part in supporting the extended leadership team within each of those areas.
- Create the strategy and technical roadmap for the Openlink Endur service line, including all system interfaces that support the transactional downstream functions and processes, namely, Regulatory and Contracts.
- Run and enhance the end to end systems providing a 24x5 global service and be the single point for all technical and functional challenges.
- Be the single point of contact for all technical challenges to the Solution Manager
- Champion engineering best practice across the development lifecycle and help drive consistency in development approach and right level of standardisation of the technology stack across all work streams
- Eliminate waste and promote a lean process in software development
- Manage a distributed team of engineers (including developers and testers)
- Demonstrate technical mastery and be an inspirational leader who can mentor and ensure continuous development of competencies of our engineering teams
- Drive the collection of a consistent set of KPIs
- Steer and deliver Tech Transformation initiatives (eg. Cloud migrations/improved CI/CD pipelines etc.)
- Improve our predictability and velocity of delivery
- Be disciplined about measuring business outcomes and be visible in getting to action in resolving operational issues.
- Partner with other teams within the IT organization and inspire them in working to a common purpose driven by the business agenda and strategy.
- Degree educated or equivalent
Essential experience and
- Experience leading IT teams within a trading organization.
- Strong background in understanding front-to-back deal lifecycle, portfolio management, risk management and respective IT systems within the commodity trading business (e.g. ETRM, Market Data Management etc).
- Exceptional communication skills. The position requires constant interaction with senior commercial personnel.
- Experience in cloud based implementation, integration with enterprise application landscapes and experience in managing continuous integration / delivery.
- Business knowledge of Financial or Physical Trading of Gas and Power.
- Working knowledge of a trading and risk management platform (e.g. Openlink Endur, Murex) in a trading organisation is vital.
- Extensive hands-on experience in Agile methodology, Test Driven Development and Immutable infrastructure
- Thought leader in agile delivery and lean process analysis
- Proficient in AWS technologies and experienced in developing AWS solutions
- Experience as a professional software engineer
- Experience as an engineering manager, managing multiple teams in remote locations
- Large scale technical delivery experience is essential.
- Demonstrable experience in running highly available enterprise system with a global functional footprint.
- Excellent at investigating and providing solutions to conflict, issues and problems.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating priorities with contending parties based on business need.
- Demonstrated capability in raising development quality and consistency
- Demonstrated capability in building CI/CD pipelines
- Good coaching skills - someone who can sit down with Team Leads to developers to review code and feedback areas of improvement in code quality
- Understands the proper use of metrics and value chain mapping to eliminate waste in the entire development pipeline
- Good demonstrated capability with working and understanding different cultures
- Excellent communication & Presentation skills and command of the English language
- Proven track record of recruiting and building high performing teams
- Proven record of employing the right type of metrics to drive and balance productivity, quality and team health
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Business knowledge of linear/non-linear derivative Gas and Power products, trading and pricing.
- Third party software vendor management
- Background of development skills in a wide variety of languages and technologies.