- To assess, evaluate, advise and implement compliance to Company HSSE policies and procedures within engineering contractors.
- To remain abreast of, evaluate, and ensure compliance with statutory and local authority legislation and where it impacts the contractor accreditation process and meeting of local needs and BP requirements.
- To support & assist the HSSE Projects Manager to drive & meet the HSSE agenda for engineering contractor compliance.
Contractors HSE Accreditation
- Support Procurement in the implementation of the Working with Contractors framework by conducting new contractors HSE pre-qualifications.
- Perform HSE audits of all proposed engineering contractors prior to being appointed by BP SAFVC.
- Provide HSE adjudication on engineering contractors as part of the procurement tendering process.
- Review and communicate BP's code of safe practice and expectations as per OMS to the prospective engineering contractors to ensure they comply with Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Conduct validation of data, information and certificates provided by contractors during the accreditation phase
- Collate and manage contractor data and safety file in a systematic database.
- Conduct HSE re-accreditation on existing engineering contractors as per defined frequencies on Contractor Accreditation Program.
- Follow up on all identified corrective actions from the contractors during accreditation to closure
Management and Administration
- Conduct ad-hoc on site safety audits, where work is being carried out on site by contractors, to ensure the contractor comply with BP Code of Safe Practice, Control of Works Standard and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Provide monthly updates to the HSSE Projects Manager, on contractor management covering the whole of South Africa.
- Provide updated list of accredited engineering contractor to the vendor/supplier database administrators and Maximo super-user.
- Distribute accreditation certificates to all accredited engineering contractors in both South Africa.
- Manage and distribute COW permit books for all terminals and retail operations in the SAFVC.
- Manage the budget allocated for the audits, permit books and associated travel.
- Participate, initiate or lead COW related incident investigations when called upon.
- Monitor the trends from retro analysis, audits, and self-verifications on the safety performance of engineering contractors and engage on finding solutions to resolve findings.
- Identify capability gaps within internal and external resources on COW and communicate to the HSSE Projects Manager.
- Update the HSSE accreditation audit protocol as and when required through a MOC and assist the HSSE Projects Manager in developing the framework for performance managing the Issuing Authorities and Monitoring Authorities.
- Hold a modern Safety Risk Management or Engineering diploma or degree or be prepared to undergo training on such, IRCA Auditors course, working knowledge of OSH Act, Construction Regulations.
Experience (years and nature)
- Have at least 3-5 years experience in working with engineering contractors
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Knowledge and experience of the Contractor Accreditation process
- The incumbent must possess good written and oral skills to meet Training and Audit report writing needs and be above professional judgement in doing so.
- Computer literacy and code 10 license is a requirement.