The Petrochemicals Sr. Mechanical Engineer will support expansion and growth projects of existing BP facilities and/or licensing of BP's technology to third parties. Working closely with BP sites, BP technology teams, equipment fabricators, and third-party engineering companies, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will direct the mechanical designs of equipment, visit manufacturers to validate key manufacturing steps, and ensure proper support to sites so that equipment can meet project objectives. The focus will be on fixed equipment (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, piping, etc.), though familiarity with rotating equipment and material handling will also be beneficial.Accountabilities:
- Works directly with a team of mechanical and metallurgical engineers within a global engineering group. This function interacts with engineering contractors, suppliers, and other BP engineers to ensure mechanical designs meet BP and project requirements.
- Provides mechanical designs for capital and licensing projects while ensuring equipment meet expected standards (BP, national, international), process requirements, are safe, operable, maintainable, and have optimum total cost of ownership.
- Contributes to specifications and other documentation that define the technical requirements for mechanical equipment designs.
- Provides mechanical engineering expertise to existing BP sites addressing fixed equipment issues.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the areas of mechanical engineering by maintaining contacts with vendors and by participating in technical organizations and seminars.
- Maintains current working knowledge of the BP Petrochemicals processes and equipment by close cooperation with process, metallurgical, and project engineers to minimize mechanical failures.
- Protects BP know-how and confidential information.
- Disseminates, maintains awareness of, and applies best practices by communicating with other BP engineering staff through networking, teleconferencing, meetings, and seminars.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Desirable Criteria & Qualifications
- Promotes personal and process safety in all levels of work involvement.
- Prior experience with fixed equipment in the Petrochemicals or Refining industry.
- Physically able to perform confined space entries, climbing, and other physical activities involved with process equipment inspection.
- In-depth knowledge of equipment used in the PTA and/or Acetyls processes (10+ years) is preferred.
- Ability to contribute in both team and individual setting.
- Responds quickly to questions and issues and innovative in working with inquirers in resolving them.
- Builds networks to enhance effectiveness and to share knowledge.
- Actively seeks out know-how and best practices related to own area of contribution.
- Strives for breakthroughs as well as incremental solutions in both technical and work processes.
- Willingness to travel and work effectively across technical functions in a multi-cultural and geographically extended setting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.