The Senior Project Engineer has primary responsibility for delivering assigned projects by effectively executing projects that enhance or expand existing refinery assets. This position manages multiple projects that can be designed via in-house engineering or through external consultants and implemented through construction contracts. As the leader of assigned project teams, the Project Engineer assures that safety, quality, cost and schedule performance requirements are met so these assets are safe, environmentally sound, operable, reliable and maintainable. This summary is meant to provide an overview of the position and does not include every task that might be required in the performance of the job.
- Lead the scope definition, funding, permitting, design, procurement, construction, commissioning, and startup for assigned projects by utilizing the stage-gate Capital Value Process (CVP). Ensure that all critical elements of front end loading (FEL) principles are applied to support good decision making and project execution.
- Act as primary interface with customer and is responsible for all communication, reviews, and issue resolution. Proactively work with relevant departments to take corrective action and achieve mutually agreeable solutions to problems.
- Operate an effective project control system that accurately measures, monitors, and reports progress against key performance indicators.
- Work collaboratively with Gatekeepers, Sponsors, Asset Teams and other groups to ensure that project definition and milestones are established and managed according to principles of Capital Value Process.
- Work collaboratively with Operations, Inspection, Reliability and Maintenance Teams to utilize appropriate technical resources for design and installation support. Ensure that all new equipment meets the goals of safe operations and long-term reliability and maintainability.
- Actively leads health, safety and environmental performance and awareness for assigned projects to achieve our goals of no accidents, no harm to people and no harm to the environment. Investigate accidents and near-misses. Prepare, conduct, and ensure completion of regular safety meetings. Promote maintenance of a clean, safe work site and ensures adequate housekeeping.
- Understand relevant Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) regulations, policies and procedures applicable to the design and construction of projects.
- Plan and coordinate peer reviews, safety reviews (MOC, HAZOP, PHSSERs), QA/QC compliance, and other assurance activities.
- Apply relevant BP Technical Practices and appropriate industry engineering specifications, standards, procedures and regulations to all jobs.
- Coordinate pertinent projects with the Turnaround (TAR) Team to understand expectations for deliverables required to plan and execute project work during Turnaround events.
- Coordinate Pre-TAR and Post-TAR work activities in operating units in a safe manner while minimizing adverse impact on product availability in operating units.
- Work collaboratively with the Procurement Team to execute the most efficient service contracts and to purchase owner-furnished equipment and specialty materials.
- Oversee and mentor contract design engineers and field supervision in a culture which fosters teamwork, professionalism, safety, and high integrity.
- Ensure commissioning deliverables are met from a project management perspective.
- Capture, share, and apply lessons learned and best practices throughout all phases of the project.
- Update all relevant drawings and documentation and provide information according to refinery practices in a timely manner to ensure that relevant training information is updated and communicated to the appropriate personnel.
- Act as a member of the Plant Emergency Operating Procedures (EOP) team.
Bachelor's Degree in an applicable Engineering discipline is requiredPreferred:
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering is preferredExperienceRequired:
Minimum of seven years of relevant experiencePreferred:
Minimum of seven years of refinery experience